Hops/Yeast suggestions for Rooibos ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfreebrew

Reaction score
Has anyone used Rooibos (African red "tea") in a brew? There are posts here about using it, but I figured I'd ask in the GF section.

I'm mostly wondering what kind of hop schedule and what kind of yeast would go well with it. I have some Columbus pellets, SafAle S04, Danstar Winsor sitting around, but I don't know my yeasts and hops yet.

I have some red Samba rice I might toast and steep in this ale and maybe some toasted pecans or something? I'm thinking a fall-inspired red ale to crack open at Thanksgiving.

Suggested amounts and times would be great too since I'm still a beginner.
5 gallon batch.

I'm thinking Sorghum base, some D45 Candi Syrup, Maltodextrine...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

I don't use sorghum anymore and I have no idea what rooibos tastes like. But, I have thought of a super African ale using millet, rooibos, and brett custer. If only I could find an African hop....
I just really want to use brett custer. Its a wild yeast propagated off of an African millet beer.

Go lighter on the hops. Let the rooibos do the work. A clean US yeast would be fine. US-05 is always my go to. I did see a rooibos ale on here that sounded good. Should just be able to search rooibos.

Back