2nd fermentation cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpruntz

Reaction score
How will ik the 2nd cycle of fermentation is finished? The instructions say 2-4 weeks but is it 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4?

You'll probably need to provide some more information to get the answer you want to hear. But, while I haven't put anything into a secondary fermenter, I believe you may be referring to a conditioning stage either in the primary or in a secondary fermenter. If so, this is really a "clean up" stage of the process. I don't go by time so much as looking to see it clear and the yeast drop.

Maybe describe your whole process and the specifics of the recipe and those with way more knowledge and experience than me will give you a more direct answer.

"2nd fermentation cycle "

Normally "secondary" is not a fermentation. Once primary fermentation is COMPLETE some brewers transfer the beer to what is called a secondary "fermenter", but no actual fermentation takes place there. The secondary is used to clear up (brighten) the beer, to make some additions (ex. dry hopping), to keep the beer from sitting on the yeast too long (not really a problem for most folks) in order to prevent autolysis and a few other reasons???

I do not use a secondary and never have. Just a week or two longer in the primary (once fermentation is done and the SG is stable and in the expected range) and my ales have always gone into the bottle nice and clear.

OMO

bosco

Back