Stains on new SS Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM3MD157

Reaction score
I had brewed my first batch last week and used a new Bayou Classic SS kettle. After cleaning it thoroughly, I noticed that there is some sort of stains or oxidation at the waterline and above. Almost like the bubbled wort on the side made the marks. Is this normal for kettles? Can I clean it off, or should I even worry about it? When you run your fingers over it it doesn't feel like debris is caked on. I tried searching about this problem but couldn't find any results of the same.

Congratulations, you just broke in your new brewing pot. Don't worry, your're makin' beer.

Congratulations, you just broke in your new brewing pot. Don't worry, your're makin' beer.
Thanks! I don't mind the stains, I just didn't know if they are normal. I thought stainless is truly "stainless"! :)

DM3MD157 said:
Thanks! I don't mind the stains, I just didn't know if they are normal. I thought stainless is truly "stainless"! :)

Sure it's not aluminum? Can you post a pic?

Yup, definitely stainless steel. Here ya go:

stains.JPG

There are several grades of "stainless steel", unless you bought the best stainless, it will show some stains. It should not rust. You should be able to remove those "stains" with a soft scrub of some type.

There are several grades of "stainless steel", unless you bought the best stainless, it will show some stains. It should not rust. You should be able to remove those "stains" with a soft scrub of some type.
So it's OK to use an abrasive sponge on the SS? Is it alright to leave them on?

I just rubbed the kettle pretty hard with my finger and I was able to rub off the stain. Interestingly it didn't come off with soap and water though. What should I use to try to get it off easier? IIRC people use Oxiclean?

Should I get it in the powder or liquid? Do I dilute it or go full strength?

Should I get it in the powder or liquid? Do I dilute it or go full strength?

I've never used anything but the powder. Use full strength with a sponge and some water. It's acidic, so it dissolves mineral deposits and is slightly abrasive. Also re-passivates the stainless steel. You should be able to find it in your local grocery or hardware store.

I've never used anything but the powder. Use full strength with a sponge and some water. It's acidic, so it dissolves mineral deposits and is slightly abrasive. Also re-passivates the stainless steel. You should be able to find it in your local grocery or hardware store.
Good deal! Thanks for your input!

I brewed this week and had stain on the bottom of my kettle. I used a plastic scrubber and scrubbed them off, no added chemical.

When I worked in a kitchen in London we used to use coke in the SS pots. Just brought it up to a boil and swirled it round over the stains.

Just remember never to leave it in more than a couple of mins and never use it on badly scratched pots! Coke is an acid after all!!!

DeafSmith +1 for you! It worked EFFORTLESSLY!! Thanks so much for the tip. This stuff is awesome!

kettleclean.JPG

That just looked like extra hops/protein that got burnt to the side...

Ive never had to use any chemicals on mine, just fill with water to soak overnight...then sponge wipes it all away.

Suggestions on the concentration of OxiClean? I have the target generic kind, which should be the same.

Suggestions on the concentration of OxiClean? I have the target generic kind, which should be the same.

It's not critical - I just toss in maybe a quarter scoop with a gallon or so of water to clean my brew pot- just use as much as you need to get it clean.. Cleaning a carboy or Better Bottle, it's more important not to get too strong a mixture - there I use a full scoop (4 oz, I think) in 6 gallons of water which is the strongest concentration of PBW recommended by Better Bottle company - I assume the same concentration of OxiClean is OK. Also somewhere on the Better Bottle web site is a report that says strong caustic cleaners can cause microcracks in glass carboys, so I also limit that to 1 scoop/6 gallons and don't let them sit for more than a few hours with the cleaning solution. Also, don't dump the powder into an empty BB or carboy - fill it halfway with water first, then add the powder and more water so you don't get a real strong concentration in one spot (also a recommendation from the BB web site).

Do you find that you get crystal deposits in your carboy when you use oxiclean? I have read that some people get them and it's hard to remove.

Do you find that you get crystal deposits in your carboy when you use oxiclean? I have read that some people get them and it's hard to remove.

No problem with that, but I do get a bit of a white film sometimes, so after cleaning with OxiClean and rinsing with tap water, I rinse with some white vinegar (acid) and water, then after rinsing that out, I do a final rinse with a quart or so of distilled water so it will dry without any water spots. This last step isn't really necessary, but I like my Better Bottles to look like new. :)

Back