SG or FG of Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are ranges of Specific Gravity (FG) associated with what we call dry, semi-dry or semi-sweet and sweetened cider?

That is a very good question which I would also like to know the answer to... therefore I'm sub'd.

Found this info for some wine competition classes, it may be useful...

I. DRY WINES &#8211; Wines that have virtually no residual sugar (less than 0.5%). Specific gravity is < 1.000. Wines entered in this category have complete fermentation (not stopped by intervention of the winemaker) and have not been back-sweetened.

II. OFF-DRY WINES - Used to accompany a meal&#8217;s main course or drink by themselves. These wines are not completely dry (i.e., may be back sweetened or may have early termination of fermentation), but are too dry for a Social Wine. They have up to 1% residual sugar and less than 14% alcohol. Specific gravity is 1.000 to 1.010.

III. SOCIAL WINES - Primarily enjoyed in the evening or afternoon with snacks, but may be used with meals or any time. They typically have 1% to 4.0% unfermented sugar with less than 14% alcohol. These are commonly known as "semi-dry" or "semi-sweet" wines. Specific gravity is 1.010 to 1.025.

IV. DESSERT WINES - Full bodied, very sweet wines that are normally served at the end of a meal or with desserts or snacks. These wines contain more than 4.0% sugar and may contain over 14% alcohol. These are commonly referred to as "sweet" wines. Specific gravity is > 1.025.

Found this info for some wine competition classes, it may be useful...

I. DRY WINES &ndash; Wines that have virtually no residual sugar (less than 0.5%). Specific gravity is < 1.000. Wines entered in this category have complete fermentation (not stopped by intervention of the winemaker) and have not been back-sweetened.

II. OFF-DRY WINES - Used to accompany a meal&rsquo;s main course or drink by themselves. These wines are not completely dry (i.e., may be back sweetened or may have early termination of fermentation), but are too dry for a Social Wine. They have up to 1% residual sugar and less than 14% alcohol. Specific gravity is 1.000 to 1.010.

III. SOCIAL WINES - Primarily enjoyed in the evening or afternoon with snacks, but may be used with meals or any time. They typically have 1% to 4.0% unfermented sugar with less than 14% alcohol. These are commonly known as "semi-dry" or "semi-sweet" wines. Specific gravity is 1.010 to 1.025.

IV. DESSERT WINES - Full bodied, very sweet wines that are normally served at the end of a meal or with desserts or snacks. These wines contain more than 4.0% sugar and may contain over 14% alcohol. These are commonly referred to as "sweet" wines. Specific gravity is > 1.025.

Each competition tends to have its own parameters. In my neck of the woods, dessert wine is a minimum of 15% ACV.

Thanks. Anyone know where ciders such as Strongbow, Magners and Woodchuck fall?

In my opinion, anything around 1.020 is sickly sweet. I would assume a lot of the American grocery store commercial ciders would be in the neighborhood of 1.015+?

Anyone ever made a gravity measurement of these?

Yes I have read multiple thread of 1.030 but in states like mine beer is only sold at 3.2 abv. So we need the sweet to hide the alcohol taste....:smh: lol

Yes I have read multiple thread of 1.030 but in states like mine beer is only sold at 3.2 abv. So we need the sweet to hide the alcohol taste....:smh: lol

Not sure if I am reading this right, but it seems that you are saying that the ABV is synonymous with the Final Gravity reading. AO Crisp is about 1.030, and has an ABV of 5%.

Not sure if I am reading this right, but it seems that you are saying that the ABV is synonymous with the Final Gravity reading. AO Crisp is about 1.030, and has an ABV of 5%.

LOL I'm Poking fun at my state saying it needs the sweeter to mask the alcohol flavor so that ppl around here can handle it.

Back