5cf Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allen00se

Reaction score
GE Freezer from home Depot $189.00
TS-21 Temp Controller from Dwyer $50.00
TS2-010 Temp Probe from Dwyer $10.00

Scenario:
I have a Wetbar in my Living room (Pics to come) that has its own storage closet. I plan to have the keezer in this closet then run beer lines approx 6' to the wetbar. This freezer appears to have enough room for 3 kegs, so I want to run 3 beer lines. Line cooling will be done via cold air circulation from keezer.

So here it goes:
Freezer as bought sitting in my driveway. I like the overall build and size of the freezer. I run 3 gallon kegs to save space and so that I can finish the keg before it goes bad. I can fit two of my kegs in the lower portion of the freezer and 1 on the step with my co2. Also the freezer has rear and side access to the compressor/electrical bay for rewiring.
4Jq3a.jpg

Top view with keg and co2 sitting on the step
M6qkd.jpg

Time to get to work replacing the original temp controller with a digital one. The original is just clipped in and pops out easy enough. With the wires exposed its easy to see which ones I need to steal to hotwire the freezer
Original Temp Controller wiring
hHlbC.jpg

So i temporarily spliced in the digital temp controller. Originally I was planning on permanently locating it in the old temp controller home... but who wants to walk into the closet to peek at the temp. I am thinking I will mount it in the bar right next to the taps. Anyway here it is all hooked up and cooling as expected.
IOPvi.jpg

So up next will be planning the new lid that will allow me to run my beer lines and air cooled tunnel.

Links to my other builds
Compubrew (Custom Brew Software I wrote)
Electric Brewery buildout
Bar Build

Hey allen00se,

Can you clarify the wiring you did here? I am using the same freezer and I am trying to hack into the wiring that runs into the stock controls there and connect it to my temp control. Indicating which wire are which would help me out as I am not to experienced with hacking appliances.

Thanks!

That looks like a great build. It looks like you may be able to squeeze in another keg for a total of 4?

Hey allen00se,

Can you clarify the wiring you did here? I am using the same freezer and I am trying to hack into the wiring that runs into the stock controls there and connect it to my temp control. Indicating which wire are which would help me out as I am not to experienced with hacking appliances.

Thanks!

Ill check the wiring when I get home and report back what I did.

That looks like a great build. It looks like you may be able to squeeze in another keg for a total of 4?

Thanks, it is working out great, although I really doubt I could squeeze another keg in there. I will post some updated pics this weekend now that I have it in its final location with ducting and a fan to keep the lines cool to the taps

I'm also interested in seeing your wiring diagram. Nice job!

Sorry I was slammed all weekend and didnt have time to reply. I also didnt have time to take new pics so I will try to explain using the old pics for now.

Please keep in mind that I am not an electrician and you should always consult an electrician before hacking any wiring, also I am sure there is potentially a way to fry your freezer and or your temp controller.

rxP9z.jpg

So here is the legend for the photo:
#1- Hot going from relay to status light/compressor
#2- Hot wire coming from outlet to relay
#3- ground
#4- junction for hot wire to status light/compressor
#5- junction for common to status light/compressor
A=Wire bundle going to your freezer compressor
B=Incoming wire bundle from your electrical outlet

In the above photo, what you are trying to accomplish is replacing the manual temp controller (where wires 1,2 and 3 are connected) with your new electronic temp controller. The way this freezer is setup makes it look more complicated than it really is because connections 4 and 5 are just jumpers to activate the green status light.

So the easiest version of rewiring would be to have your temp controller getting its own power, and all you would have to do is connect wires 1 and 2 to the your electronic temp controller on the terminals that are controlled by the relay (terminals 10 and 11).
For this tutorials purposes we will connect wire #2 to terminal #10 and wire #1 to terminal #11.

LTwSc.png

Now slightly more complicated would be using the freezers wiring to supply power to the temp controller. Wires 1 and 2 will still be in the same location since they are still used for the relay, but now you have to add a jumper wire that goes from terminal #10 to terminal #7. (This jumper wire will supply power to the temp controller and still power the relay). Then all you need to do is connect terminal #8 to your common wire (the white ones labeled #5 in my pic) and you should be good to go!

awesome! thanks for taking the time to do this. I am going to hook it up this weekend.

No Problem, I actually completely changed my wiring because of the way my keezer closet is laid out, but that should work for you. I ended up making my temp controller switch a wall outlet on and off and then I just plugged my keezer into that wall outlet. I really need to post some progress pics while I have some time over the holiday.

If you stagger the kegs rather than line them up you can probably put another keg in there. Try hanging one off of the hump and see if you can get four in it. If you are able you can build a small shelf to keep it from falling. It will be nice to have a fourth tap...;)

As promised... some progress pics. Added my extra pressure regulators to get me up to 3 individually controllable kegs.
CmKN8.jpg

You can see my duct work and the beer lines and the cool air lines.
YiM7Y.jpg

And all buttoned up, all i need is some paint on the duct
IR1iZ.jpg

Back