clove flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
my last several batches have had a clove flavor in the background. What is the culprit?

Besides the vagueness of the question, (My computer is messed up, this thingy keeps happening and I don't know whats causing it).

The answer: Yeast

Which yeast were you using? What type of beer was it? What types of malt did you use? These are all questions that can give you more specific answers.

Also could be chlorine or chloromines in your water. Was a big deal when I started and took me a while to nail it.

safeale s-05 yeast no temp control yet (have controller but no fridge :( )

fermentation temps have hovered round 68-71

o yea plae ales and cream ales tasted of clove IPA's all fine. tap water tastes great...

4-Ethylguaiacol, which is the phenolic compound that we associate with the clove aroma in beer, can be produced by Saccharomyces (particularly in wheat strains), but is often a product of Brettanomyces.

Could be an intrusion of native yeast?

whenever i get clove flavors in my beer, it's usually due to fermenting at a high temperature or over pitching my yeast.

a ferm temp ranging from 68-71 doesn't seem too menacing for clove flavors to come out, but you may experience it slightly.

what size batches are you brewing?

Really? I've always heard not to because of the lack of minerals. Is that just for AG, or did I hear wrong?

Just for AG for the most part. It depends on what you're making, as my Bohemian pilsner is 100% RO water even with AG.

It has to do with the yeast having enough calcium and other minerals, but malt has some of those minerals anyway. You don't need much of these minerals to have a healthy fermentation.

Just for AG for the most part. It depends on what you're making, as my Bohemian pilsner is 100% RO water even with AG.

It has to do with the yeast having enough calcium and other minerals, but malt has some of those minerals anyway. You don't need much of these minerals to have a healthy fermentation.

Ok, that makes sense. Especially with the pils thing, soft water. :mug:

maybe on my next batch I will try 75% RO water and 25% tap? I make 5 gallon batches and use extract and some special grains for the most part.

spam said:
safeale s-05 yeast no temp control yet (have controller but no fridge :( )

fermentation temps have hovered round 68-71

Is the fermentation temp 68-71 or is the ambient temp 68-71? If the latter, your fermentation may be as high as 76-80, which would be too warm.

68-71 is the temp I see on the plasiguage strip thing stuck to the side of the bucket,,lol

Back