Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaureanti

Reaction score
WORST IDEA EVER!!! Not to be rude in any way, shape or form, but damn, I do not like Black IPA's...

A porter should be a porter and an IPA should be an IPA. Isn't brewing a great beer about balance?!?!?! No balance in a black IPA.

sorry to rant just had to throw it out there. By the way I have made a hoppy porter and was not pleased. I paid for a black IPA at the bar tonight and damn was I dissapointed. It was everything I was dissapointed in my porter about and more.

Well anyway, :rockin: and keep it real

WORST IDEA EVER!!! Not to be rude in any way, shape or form, but damn, I do not like Black IPA's...

A porter should be a porter and an IPA should be an IPA. Isn't brewing a great beer about balance?!?!?! No balance in a black IPA.

sorry to rant just had to throw it out there. By the way I have made a hoppy porter and was not pleased. I paid for a black IPA at the bar tonight and damn was I dissapointed. It was everything I was dissapointed in my porter about and more.

You can Make a very well balanced Black IPA if you choose the right grain bill.But with a Black IPA you have to aim for a very malty base to stand up to the hops. Here is the Black IPA i made, it was very well balanced.

Black Bomb IPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 48.28 %
2.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 13.79 %
2.00 lb Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 13.79 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.79 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.50 lb Carafa III(De-Husked) (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (Dry Hop @ 21 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop @ 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.43 %
Bitterness: 68.2 IBU
Est Color: 33.3 SRM

Mash Profile
Double Infusion, Medium Body
30 min Protein Rest Add 13.05 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 11.60 qt of water at 197.3 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 10.15 qt of water at 205.6 F 168.0 F

Me thinks you might have opened up a can of ugly worms...

BTW, I loved my first - and only - Black IPA. Otter Creek's Alpine Black!

My brother? Not so much, he said it tasted like cough syrup.

I happen to like them, but to each his/her own. BTW, the Drunken Mumblings and Mindless Rumblings forum would be better suited for this topic.

jlaureanti said:

Maybe it's not the Black IPA that's the problem.

Here is my rant: It isn't a BLACK IPA. it is an India Black Ale. Black India Pale Ale sounds stupid.

I've loved most of them I've tried though, for the record.

Here is my rant: It isn't a BLACK IPA. it is an India Black Ale. Black India Pale Ale sounds stupid.

I've loved most of them I've tried though, for the record.

True, but 'black IPA' is a good way to describe it to people who aren't beer nerds like we are. Not everyone knows what a 'cascadian dark ale' or 'india black ale' are. The term 'black IPA' gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I do agree that black india pale ale sounds kind of stupid, though.

KayaBrew said:
Maybe you should keep your racist opinion to yourself. Seriously.

Mods, please close this thread before it gets ugly.

It was a joke, and in no way was I stupidly implying anyone was racist. RDWHAHB. I'll edit the post if it makes you happy.

Yeah...lets just chill out ya'll. Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous is a pretty good CDA/ABA I've heard.

And yes...the BA says that American-style Black Ale is correct...the BJCP hasn't recognized it yet as an official style.

Maybe you should keep your racist opinion to yourself. Seriously.

Mods, please close this thread before it gets ugly.

I bet you were the class tattletale when you were young..

While we're at it, ban all stand up comedians.

Me thinks you might have opened up a can of ugly worms...

BTW, I loved my first - and only - Black IPA. Otter Creek's Alpine Black!

My brother? Not so much, he said it tasted like cough syrup.

That was also my first Black IPA, and I loved it. I've had a couple of others since, and one I thought was just plain not very good, and the other was good but not great.

I think people are still figuring out how to do this style right. It may turn out to be a fad after all, but at the very least it's a neat idea. The Otter Creek one was perfect -- everything that makes an IPA great, but a nice pleasing full-bodied mouthfeel and a complementary warming malt character.

True, but 'black IPA' is a good way to describe it to people who aren't beer nerds like we are. Not everyone knows what a 'cascadian dark ale' or 'india black ale' are. The term 'black IPA' gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I do agree that black india pale ale sounds kind of stupid, though.

So does India pale ale for an ale that has absolutely nothing to do with India, doesn't even taste very much anymore like the ales that were historically brewed in England for export to India, and in many embodiments is often not really all that "pale" to begin with. (Most IPAs I've seen are closer to the color I think of for an amber ale than a true pale)

Black IPA is an oxymoron, of course, but IMO it is the name that makes the most sense given the idiosyncratic history of the style. Many of our beer styles have names that are nonsensical outside of the relevant historical context. Get over it! :p

ODaniel said:
I bet you were the class tattletale when you were young..

While we're at it, ban all stand up comedians.

I was thinking exactly this, but back on track.

Sublimely Self-Righteous is an awesome CDA, get your hands on it if possible. I love the idea, and I would like to see the evolution of Black IPA's.

Give Deschutes- Hop In the Dark a taste. Had one last night and was very impressed. Very nicely balanced. IMO of course.

Back