Wurst!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsyltucky

Reaction score
I'm looking for some traditional German sausage recipes.

Anyone willing to share? I like nurnberg bratwurts and hungarian smoked sausage.

I'll take book recommendations too... I already have Charcuterie and Home Sausage Making, but haven't made anything from them yet.

Thanks

Posted this on the thread by strat-thru-marshall. I also made it a few days ago again. Its a great recipe. This recipe is perfect for Curry Wurst, too. Just serve it with a mixture of ketchup and curry on the side.

Here is an authentic German recipe for cooked bratwurst. It was translated from my wife's (German) great-grandmother's cooking school recipes from 1909. You can increase the recipe size in equal amounts to any size you wish.

3.5 lbs pork (be sure there's some fat on it)
1.5 lbs veal or beef
5 eggs
2 tbs salt (I use kosher salt)
1 tbs black pepper
1.5 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp coriander
.5 cup grated onion
1 cup ice water

Grind all meat through the finest plate on your meat grinder, then mix in all of the other ingredients. For the best results, place the mixture in the refrigerator for a while (up to 8 hrs) then put through the grinder again (or for smoother texture put in the food processor until emulsified, but you will need to add a little more crushed ice to keep it cold) and stuff into casings.

Place the sausages in hot water (but do not cook) until they become firm, then let rest in warm milk for a while (I do this for about 20 mins). Cook until browned with some sliced onions and serve.

I've also made the bratwurst and smoked polish recipes from the Rytek Kutas book, both come out very tasty.

Moose

Latest posts

Back