Second Brew mistakes!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info here. I brewed my second brew today around lunch time. A blue moon clone. Anyhow it went pretty well but here is what I screwed up. I am drinking a crappy michelob lager and sipped some of my apfelwein gravity sample (which my wife likes so far at only 3 weeks in) so I'm ok with my mistakes. But I want to see what you guys think.

Mistakes:

1. I boiled 3 gallons water, leaving about 2 inches from the top of the pot. So instead of all of the LME, I only added half at first, some during the middle and the rest towards the end. I figure no big deal reading about "late addition"

2. Adding hops: Full heat on my gas stove barely kept the 3 gallons at a rolling boil. So I would put the lid on for a minute or two here or there to get a more aggresive boil. One time I guess I left it on too long and the hops got stuck to the lid....and I didn't realize it for 2 to 3 minutes....but I scraped them off and added them back to the wort as soon as I realized this.

3. Cooling. Probable the dumbest mistake if someone could comment on this one, it would be great. I put the pot in the sink and added Ice, water, and SALT around the pot. woops, I sprinkled a little Kosher salt in the wort....dumb ass klutz. It wasn't much but it was stupid. Does salt have any effect on taste or fermentation?????? Fermentation has started so NO I am not worried, I'm just pissed at myself.

Everything else went well!!

End rant,

thanks.

O yeah. absolutely I am...a crappy store bought. Which reminds me....I can't stand the smell of the LME after smelling it for 3 hours. I don't usually get michelob lager but it was the only beer I could find at the grocery store today that wasn't screw off. Anyhow, this crap tastes like the smell of LME....I don't know but maybe home brewing is ruining my like of beer.......or michelob is crap:drunk:

Kaya is right, RDWHAHB

1. You're fine here.

2. Even though you couldn't help it that your stove couldn't handle the boil. It's not a good idea to have a lid on the pot during this time. Read up on DMS.

3. Should be interesting to say the least. If it wasn't much salt at all, you'll probably never be able to notice it.

Kaya is right, RDWHAHB

2. Even though you couldn't help it that your stove couldn't handle the boil. It's not a good idea to have a lid on the pot during this time. Read up on DMS.

My stove would keep a boil, just not as rapid as I would have imagined. I only had the lid on for maybe a combined time of 5 minutes during the 60 minute boil. I just used the lid to get it back to a boil after adding some LME/hops. So i figured I wouldn't have a promlem with DMS. So do you think there is any problem there??

Back