rooting cuttings in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstick

Reaction score
they said it couldn't be done, but i've now had 3 cuttings, about 6 inches long in a small water container in a north windowsill. in a week or two, a nice system of white roots appeared. the first one didn't survive transplanting. will report.

I have never heard it said it CAN"T be done. Just that, like layering, the success rate is much lower than root pruning and transplanting.

I have had bines cut down for the season and placed in compost that have survived to root through winter. What a MESS! As a result I ensure that the cut bines fully dry before they go into the compost heap.

I think there is a reason that most hops are propagated using the Rhizomes. I've heard that pretty much all forms of propagation can be done. It's just the success rate and speed of growth is much better using the root system.

i cut off all but 2 or 3 smalish (.5") leaves on each. already tiny new leaves have appeared.
i had a lot of side bines and was mostly curious to see how it would work. this is my first year and this might get me more new plants for next year, or the year after.

I started a Cascade from a cutting earlier this season. Not only did it survive. It is 13 feet tall and I've already harvested an ounce of cones and should get another ounce before the season is done.

Right now I'm trying to propogate Sterling with cuttings in potting soil with rooting hormone. I have done 8 cuttings hoping to get at least one to survive. The shotgun method.

I tried both methods of propagation last year with my Targets and Challengers. Only one of the six cuttings took, whereas all four buried bines gave viable plants. Also, I've noticed this year that the plants that were grown from buried bines are much more advanced than the single plant that was grown from a cutting. I presume that's because their root systems are much more advanced. Still, all new hop plants are good, so if cuttings work for you, that's all that matters.

Back