Article about Sierra Nevada brewing green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall there being an article about a year ago talking about a brewery on the east coast that was going to convert their spent grain into a fuel source to power their brewery as well as fire their kettles... ugh I can't for the life of me figure this one out...

responsible to who?
i would rather thay use natural gas and lower the price of there beer.
but then i know man made global warming is a myth use to push central planing.
i am all for being eco frendly and not poluting but CO2 is not polution.
I sort and recycle all my trash and i dont even have trash service were i live so i have to haul it to a colection center and they charge you for it. but the whole Co2 carbon credit thing is costly stupid and drives up the cost of living and doing bussiness, and that lowers the qualty of life for the poor.
there is a 200+ year suppy of fossle fuel. if you want to impress me take all this money that the govement waste on crap spending and putforth a one trillion dollors to make viable fusion energy in 20 years, after that happons the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy, and never burn fossle fuel again. that is the kind of real action we would take if there was infact a global crisis.

all this other fluff is just feel good do nothing rubish.

holy crap, that is a lot of solar panels for one business' use.

sierra-2l-0709.jpg

I recall there being an article about a year ago talking about a brewery on the east coast that was going to convert their spent grain into a fuel source to power their brewery as well as fire their kettles... ugh I can't for the life of me figure this one out...

thay will take the spent grain and put it in a bacteria fermenter
and collect the natural gas that comes off the sluge
thay will then use that natural gas to run gas powered electric genarators and to fire there burners.

yes and no... I was told that they were trying to create a furnace burning unit that would burn hot enough to convert the spent grain into fuel and effectively the intense heat would constantly keep itself burning... I wish I could find the article... Damn my stupidity

Oh man - my geek watch is going off! LOL

the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy

Well - if you like creating green house gases I suppose it''s a good way. Its a very dirty fuel to produce.

Come on dude -stop trolling. That makes zero sense. There are way better things then electric - hydrogen on the horizon. Thank God you are not in charge. A LITTLE knowledge can do a lot of harm.

Don't be another starry-eyed environmentalists. A lot of people get all excited over hydrogen but they are only looking at the BIG picture and not the logistics of how to actually do it without exploding the planet.

Sierra Nevada has a much better use for spent grain...they feed it to their herd of beef cattle at the Chico State University farm. These cows get turned into filet mignon...and holy mother does it taste wonderful! A torpedo and a filet mignon with crumbled gorgonzola and grilled asparagus...it's something special, and well worth the price. :rockin:

Great article. I have visited New Belgium in Fort Collins and they have similar processes. I think they use more wind than solar. One cool part about NBB is that they are employee owned, so the employees actually decided to pay slightly more to raise capital for "green" improvements.

Eric

Sierra Nevada has a much better use for spent grain...they feed it to their herd of beef cattle at the Chico State University farm. These cows get turned into filet mignon...and holy mother does it taste wonderful! A torpedo and a filet mignon with crumbled gorgonzola and grilled asparagus...it's something special, and well worth the price. :rockin:

That's awesome! Maybe they can make a Sierra Nevada Au Jus Ale. Beef and Beer in one bottle sounds mighty tasty. ;)

responsible to who?
I sort and recycle all my trash and i dont even have trash service were i live so i have to haul it to a colection center and they charge you for it. but the whole Co2 carbon credit thing is costly stupid and drives up the cost of living and doing bussiness, and that lowers the qualty of life for the poor.
there is a 200+ year suppy of fossle fuel. if you want to impress me take all this money that the govement waste on crap spending and putforth a one trillion dollors to make viable fusion energy in 20 years, after that happons the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy, and never burn fossle fuel again. that is the kind of real action we would take if there was infact a global crisis.

First of all... Kudos to SN for pulling this off.

Now for the statement above.

With the constant variation in fuel price, getting a renewable energy plan implemented will allow the brewery to maintain a constant expense, and better set the price of the beer long term.

The electric hydrogen model is not a 20 year project, and so care needs to be taken not to over extend in the meantime while research is being done. LED lights are a pretty simple thing in comparison and yet still not mainstream for most purposes.

I'll finish this by saying...

Someone who has done a but of homework on this topic should, at the very least, know how to spell fossil fuel.

I have to think that most brewers find farmers that want their grain for pigs, sheep cows but NOT horses! Horses can not digest grain (rodents can not either I guess).

I never really noticed SN's prices to be outrageous; they are right in line with most other craft brewers.

I was looking into getting some solar panels for the house. It would run me about $14,000 for the entire install. At that point I would be totally off the grid and selling power back to the electric company as well. It would take roughly 10 years to pay for itself. Not too bad, as long as we don't get hail.

responsible to who?

No offense, but your points would carry a little more weight if there weren't so many spelling errors and grammar issues.

Back to topic - I really need to tour this brewery. It looks impressive!

I was looking into getting some solar panels for the house. It would run me about $14,000 for the entire install. At that point I would be totally off the grid and selling power back to the electric company as well. It would take roughly 10 years to pay for itself. Not too bad, as long as we don't get hail.

That is 10 years at today's energy prices...what if prices go up? Also, I wonder how much the solar panels can increase the resale value of the home. As a buyer, knowing that your electric bill will be very low is pretty cool.

Eric

I don't understand. I think it's progressive and responsible. :ban:

If you think pouring money into a technology that is no where near as effecient as many other conventional power forms, so be it. Solar is horribly cost prohibitive, generates small amounts of power, and is only useful during the day. I guess it makes people feel better because they have fallen for the Global Warming farce.

If you think pouring money into a technology that is no where near as effecient as many other conventional power forms, so be it. Solar is horribly cost prohibitive, generates small amounts of power, and is only useful during the day. I guess it makes people feel better because they have fallen for the Global Warming farce.

It's clean energy... we'll put the coal plant next to your house.

In the long run it does save money, and I'm sure a brewery the size of SN ran a few numbers before doing this.

I received a bid for my house that adding solar panels would pay for itself in 8 years. After 8 years, my electric bill would be about $20 a month. How is that inefficient?

Eric

hahahahahahahahahaha creefer and clayton, you are amazing to me. you have completely lost your marbles.

For every step forward there is always going to be someone in who will want you to take two steps back. Don't listen and you will succeed in life. :mug:

Solar energy can be stored in battery banks (expensive) or sold back to the electric company for later use (very cheap). It is not only useful during the day. But you're probably joking anyway, I guess.

Pretty cool move on SN's part. I just bought a sixer of their Summerfest to drink while brewing today. I'm doing my part to save the environment!

...fallen for the Global Warming farce.

You are hilariously funny...what, have you been living under a rock?!

Hats off to SN they are kicking some serious butt!!

...fallen for the Global Warming farce.

Hats off to SN they are kicking some serious butt!!

I don't feel so bad about falling for the climate change farce when 99.9% of the scientific community has "fallen" right along with me. ;)

Kudos to Sierra Nevada, they are a great company that I will continue to support. :mug:

yes and no... I was told that they were trying to create a furnace burning unit that would burn hot enough to convert the spent grain into fuel and effectively the intense heat would constantly keep itself burning... I wish I could find the article... Damn my stupidity

Alaskan Brewing Co. is working their way there. They're drying grain 24/7 and feeding spent grain to the furnace to dry it. There's no places around here to dump it like farms so they have to ship it down south.

They just installed a mash filter press this year which will make the drying process even more efficiency, as well as having to use 6% less grain, 65,000 gallons less of diesel and over 1 million gallons less water per year.

They plan in the next two years to have a steam boiler setup powered completely by their spent grain. They happened to also be the first craft brewery to install a CO2 reclamation setup and were the only one with one for a decade until Sierra Nevada installed one last year.

I received a bid for my house that adding solar panels would pay for itself in 8 years. After 8 years, my electric bill would be about $20 a month. How is that inefficient?

Eric

How much of a government subsidy of my money does it take for that. And don't forget the time value of money. In 8 years you should nearly double your money, so it's not really a pay back. But you go for it.

How much of a government subsidy of my money does it take for that. And don't forget the time value of money. In 8 years you should nearly double your money, so it's not really a pay back. But you go for it.

I don't know where to begin....

I'm done here. I'm fighting a battle of wits and my opponent is unarmed.

Good day to you sir.

Regardless of the manner in which he is doing it, creefer is making valid arguments on hydrogen and solar.

Hydrogen power, although clean, is not at all efficient. Production costs are quite high and storage is a big issue. The molecules will leach through almost anything.

The problems with solar are collection and storage. For residential use, it generates power during the day when no one is home and stores it in incredibly inefficient batteries. Were it not for utility buy-back and government subsidies it wouldn't exist.

If these technologies worked they would be everywhere.

However, solar power does make better sense for a factory or office building that needs power while the sun shines.

Solar needs sunlight and hydro needs electricity to produce. Neither one of them will get you off of the grid.

Back