Blichmann top tier + march pump + therminator configuration help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this one back again..

Just brought my Top Tier home and can't wait to this thing assembled! Thanks to all of the pictures/advice I think I've figured out my configuration (Two burners/Cooler MT/Pump).

I have a quick question for the guys that are using a kettle as the HLT. Do you fly or batch sparge? I currently batch sparge, so things should be pretty straight forward with my new TT setup. I've been thinking about giving fly sparging a shot, but not sure how difficult it is to maintain a sparge water temp with using a kettle. Do you find yourself having to fire the burner to help maintain the temp? I'm in WI and it gets pretty cold out there..

Honestly, if you're looking for rigid repeatability, you're going to need some kind of automation with fly sparging. I gravity fly sparge, but as the temperatures are starting to go nuts, I'm seeing big temperature swings using a keggle in the open winter air.

I have so many other variables to nail down first, I'm probably not going to automate that any time soon, but it's at the tail end of the list.

Only tip I can give you for the top tier is this - don't forget that you can lay the thing down on it's side and take a leg or two off very easily. Sometimes you find yourself wishing you had put something lower down on the mast and it's much easier in some cases to go up from the bottom then to take everything off and start from the top.

That's what I thought I would hear about fly sparging. Will most likely stick to batch sparge for the foreseeable future. Getting way too cold..

Thanks for the advice on making adjustments. I'm sure I'll find myself tinkering around with the setup quite a bit..

Back