Oxygen tank Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
I got a Bernzomatic oxygen tank for Christmas to aerate my wort. I am having a hell of a time trying to find a place to get it filled. I called a couple welding shops( one being airgas) close to me and they refused to fill it. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago. Anyone know where I should get this thing filled, or better yet a place to call other than a welding shop?

The little red 16 oz bottle? I don't believe anyone will refill it for you. It's supposed to be a disposable non re-used item. Dangerous and probably illegal to refill.

It is the small oxygen tank from midwest supplies "the oxynator". IT shipped empty so I am a bit shocked that I cannot get it filled. It has never had any oxygen in it.

Interesting...Have you tried medical supply shops? Not sure if they do O2 or not. And just keep calling around. I had to call 8 welding shops before i found one that would fill CO2 tanks, and not exchange them.

o2 weighs nothing, assuming you tried and it was empty, they will exchange it I am sure, or at least they should

mrbowenz said:
o2 weighs nothing, assuming you tried and it was empty, they will exchange it I am sure, or at least they should

Except it says on their site they will be shipped empty...
PLEASE NOTE: Federal Law requires that Oxygen cylinders be shipped empty. You may have them filled locally at any welding supply shop, or check "Gas Suppliers" in your yellow pages

Right, so instead of shipping you an empty tank, they should drop the price to reflect the lack of a tank and suggest you buy it from a local Lowes or HD. Those tanks are not refillable and they know it. Actually now that I look, item 6688 for $68 contains the tank and says "in store" only. Item 6688x doesn't come with a tank and is $58. Which did you buy and how much did you pay?

Someone said O2 doesn't weigh anything... if it's a 16oz cylinder then it contains 1 pound of O2.

I agree. They do have an option to purchase without the tank. And not that it makes any difference, but the picture they show has a 14oz bottle.

Give Northwest a call. They've always been very responsive when I've called them in the past.

From midwestsupplies.com:

Oxygen Injection System

"This system includes a disposable oxygen tank, a stainless steel diffusion stone, a regulator and enough tubing to reach to the bottom of your fermenter. PLEASE NOTE: Federal Law requires that Oxygen cylinders be shipped empty. You may have them filled locally at any welding supply shop, or check "Gas Suppliers" in your yellow pages."

Well, they tell you it is disposable but they also tell you that you "may have them filled locally." I suppose the part they left off was "or you may not."

Seems kind'a underhanded sending a disposable with the idea that you can get it refilled.

Edit: Just noticed it also says "In Store Only" and doesn't have an "add to cart" button. Maybe that part is new.

Rick

The problem is, you bought an "in-store only" item. The reason the tank shipped empty is that they must have decided to empty the tank before shipping instead of giving you a partial refund and sending the plain kit w/out cylinder instead. Pressurized tanks can not be shipped in the mail, and those BernzOmatic tanks are *NOT* refillable.

Call Midwest and ask to speak to the mgr. I've been a customer there for over 4 years, and have never had a problem they wouldn't make right.

Back