Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.46 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.46 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.1 %
1.66 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Rye (175.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Wheat (Midnight) (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 oz Magnum [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (25 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (25 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2500 ml]

Mash @ 145-148 for 60 min
Increase to 155 for 10 min, then sparge

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 39.6 SRM
Bitterness: 61.8 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.6 %

Ferment at ~62 for 10 days.

Thanks for the recipe!

I love this beer and want to recreate it at home.

Would it be possible to adjust this recipe for a 60 minute boil? Besides the extra hop utilization, is there any other reason for the 90 minutes called for in this recipe?

It will help with efficiency, maybe carmelize the wort a little, and i think i did it based on FW doing a lot of 90 min boils. I don't think it would be bad or much different with 60.

Yeah I was just adjusting my extract recipe for 60 mins. Hopefully it's not too different. I moved the 25 min Citra and Amarillo additions to 30 mins to add a few IBUs back.

Not a huge fan of rye or black IPAs but I had the original for the first time tonight.. another amazing beer from FW and I can't wait to try this recipe.

After being a little unhappy about the amount of amarillo on the nose of this fresh off the keg, it's just about perfect now, two months after brew day.

Getting ready to add my second dry hop, hoping to bottle by the end of the week. I did an extract version of the recipe posted in the first thread. very excited to see how it turns out.

Interesting that the Crystal Rye on Farmhouse Brewing Supply and the Cara-Rye on Brewmasters Warehouse has an SRM of 55 and 66 respectively, yet in the recipe from the OP, it has the SRM for Cara-Rye as 175, making me wonder whether this should be Chocolate Rye instead?

Interesting that the Crystal Rye on Farmhouse Brewing Supply and the Cara-Rye on Brewmasters Warehouse has an SRM of 55 and 66 respectively, yet in the recipe from the OP, it has the SRM for Cara-Rye as 175, making me wonder whether this should be Chocolate Rye instead?

You could email the brewery, but on their webpage:
...Dash of Cara-Rye...

So I would suspect just a typo on the SRM in the OP

Thanks for the confirmation (and for sharing this recipe). I placed an order at love2brew.com since they had everything in stock.

Can't wait to brew this up!

I did the same thing the other night after reading this thread.. ordered enough for 2 batches and then some just to get the free shipping.

Tomorrow is brew day for this beer.. any tips/modifications to the original recipe?

ilikeguns said:
Tomorrow is brew day for this beer.. any tips/modifications to the original recipe?

This is next on my list a well and I'm thinking of using WLP007 instead of WLP002. Anyone go this route?

I've got all the ingredients for this on hand, been waiting to brew it for the last month, but something always comes up when I want to brew (kids sick, wife sick, me sick, negative degree weather, that sort of crap).

#RunningFarmer... you used S04 and it came out tasty. I'm debating using either S05 or S04, since I have both of those on hand. Any input on which of these would be better to use (in your opinion)?

True, but my problem is with doing a starter before hand, since it seems every time brew day comes around, someone's sick or something else pops up. I guess technically I could put the starter in the fridge until I can brew, but then I have no idea when the next day I can brew is. :( Hence the desire to use a dry yeast.

True, but my problem is with doing a starter before hand, since it seems every time brew day comes around, someone's sick or something else pops up. I guess technically I could put the starter in the fridge until I can brew, but then I have no idea when the next day I can brew is. :( Hence the desire to use a dry yeast.

I have been sticking my starters in the fridge so i can decant all that weak beer off the yeast. I spend way too much time working to get the recipe the way I want it to dump 3L of starter wort in. This weekend is yeast growing weekend and will be making starters and mashing/pressure canning some wort for said starters.

so4 was fine just chase up the fermentation temp because mine left it a little sweet. 64* was where we started and did not bump the temp until it was almost done. Next time after two days I will add 1 degree a day to finish. with that said I love so5

Well, I've got enough to make 2 batches, so maybe I'll use the S04 this time, then the WLP002 next time to compare... now I just need to find some time somewhere.

tasted my hydrometer sample tonight.. tastes awesome even though I had a mishap and my ferm temps got to about 80 for 6-12 hours. Gravity is about 1.022 after 3 days.

Any suggestions on CO2 volume for this one?

On a sidenote, I'd be interested to know what FGs people are hitting with the WLP002 yeast.

I think I am going to go for a simple 60 minute mash at 148 degrees and use a 2L starter from a very fresh vial of WLP002 along with 60 minutes of pure O2 in the wort before pitching. Hopefully this will be enough to get my gravity down.

LOL! Yes I meant 60 seconds!

Brewed this today, just finished pitching. Looks like I hit an OG of 1.081.

Stuck with a 60 minute boil and a single temperature mash of 147-148 degrees. Moved the Amarillo to 30 mins instead of 25 to get the tiny amount of lost IBUs back.

That was the theory anyway!

Cannot wait to start drinking this!

Must be patient!

Brewing this up next weekend. I was able to get all the grain at Brewmaster warehouse for $25. It's awesome how they will sell you grain by the ounce. Most online shops will only sell by the lb. Looking forward to this one. Wookey is one of my favs.

LOL! Yes I meant 60 seconds!

Brewed this today, just finished pitching. Looks like I hit an OG of 1.081.

Stuck with a 60 minute boil and a single temperature mash of 147-148 degrees. Moved the Amarillo to 30 mins instead of 25 to get the tiny amount of lost IBUs back.

That was the theory anyway!

Cannot wait to start drinking this!

Must be patient!

Did you batch sparge? I was wondering if people we're doing single infusion for this...

Also, I am struggling to find the Amarillo Gold hops... Anyone have an online store to buy those?

thanks for the other links for the grains everyone... This is going to be my next brew... favorite beer right now this stuff ROCKS :rockin:

Latest posts

Back