Best money I'll ever spend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Alright. When I did my first brew, my calculated mash efficiency was 82%. I figured I must have messed up the math or something, so I didn't want to say anything, especially since I sometimes read from people who are happy to get into the 70's. But my second mash (which I did last week but didn't get around to calculating) has come in at 84%. Talk about the luck of the idiot! Honestly, I have to chaulk this one up to the wonderful advice and designs available here at HBT. I knew when I started that I didn't want to spend a year making crap before figuring out how to do this. My researching nature paid off big time when I stumbled across all of you. Thanks again a million times:rockin: I think it's time to pay the piper. I'll be a paying member after the next paycheck for sure. Best money I'll ever spend

I agree. I also came here to ask some questions and learn. I ended up paying because in the end the information that was given to me was worth much more than the cost of the membership.

I agree, I got laid up with a bum foot for a few weeks and read a few brew books and alot of threads on here in preparation for the switch to AG. I joined as soon as I saw the value of the forum. Money well spent

Well, my equipment is hardly anything special. A friend who came by to help move some stuff peaked under the white sheet that protects my brew stuf from dust, and promptly asked when the next meth cooking session was happening.

Maybe my lauter technique has something to do with it. Here's the process:

I draw a gallon to a gallon and a half of wort into a holding pot, then slowly add it back to the tun. this clears out all the junk. All the while my sparge water is heating to about 185/190. I know that sounds too hot, but read on. I start lautering pretty slowly and bail sparge water into the tun with a small sauce pot. I pour slowly, but I constantly move the spot where I am pouring around the tun to make sure all grains are rinsed. The water level in the tun stays around 1/2 inch above the grains when I have the outflow set right. The grains stir around a bit, but that doesn't seem to disturb the bottom, filtering part. I keep a thermometer in the tun to monitor temp and strive for exactly 170. If the temp drops, I speed up the lautering and bailing a little so the hotter sparge water heats things back up. If the temp get's over 170 at all, I stop the lauter and wait for it to drop. Which doesn't take long if it's caught right away. About half way through, I shut off the lauter and stir the heck out of the tun. Then I draw a gallon or so off to clear it again, and go back to lautering. On the last batch I did my best to leave as little fluid in the tun as possible by stopping the water additions about a gallon before the boil pot was full. I know this sounds like a lot of crap to go through, but what else have I got to do? It's a little boring just sitting there watching. I am curious to try skipping the stirring in the middle and see if the efficiency goes up or down.

The only other thing I do, that most don't, is a dough-in around 100 degrees for about an hour. It's not necessary but I like to think it helps by letting everything get good and wet throughout. It also gives me time to get everything set and ready to go for all the steps that follow. Ya know like drinking a beer or three.....

BTW I just couldn't help it, and chilled another of my first batch to sip on today while crushing grains for tomorrow's stout brew and it just keeps tasting better and better. THANKS again to everybody!

Sounds like you are basically fly sparging. How long does it take you to sparge all the grains?

Congrats on the good brew!

Around 30 minutes. This time around I really hit all the temps right where I wanted 'em. It's like hitting the sweet spot on a golf club when things go the way you wanted. Reminds me of how I felt the first time a model airplane, built from scratch, flew.

shafferpilot said:
Alright. When I did my first brew, my calculated mash efficiency was 82%. I figured I must have messed up the math or something, so I didn't want to say anything, especially since I sometimes read from people who are happy to get into the 70's. But my second mash (which I did last week but didn't get around to calculating) has come in at 84%. Talk about the luck of the idiot! Honestly, I have to chaulk this one up to the wonderful advice and designs available here at HBT. I knew when I started that I didn't want to spend a year making crap before figuring out how to do this. My researching nature paid off big time when I stumbled across all of you. Thanks again a million times:rockin: I think it's time to pay the piper. I'll be a paying member after the next paycheck for sure. Best money I'll ever spend
Congrats Man!! nothing like good brewin!!:ban: :ban:

Back