Newbie FWH Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopGear

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying first wort hopping for an IPA. I've read that it preserves the flavor of the hops well, and leads to smoother bitterness.

My question is, should I take what would be my whole 20 minute addition and FWH it? I'm hesitant to take my delicious Citra and Amarillo hops and boil them for an hour after FWHing them! Please reassure me that their taste will still come through (or let me know if I'll lose more flavor than a 20 minute addition).

Which would preserve the flavor of my hops better: FWH, 20 minute, or should I be adding them even later in the boil? I'm already doing 5 minute and flameout additions for aroma as well as dry hopping.

My current schedule is 60, 20, 5, FO, Dry hop.

I use it to replace the 60 min bittering addition on my APA and IPA's. IMO my beers have a smoother bitterness to them, it doesn't hit the back of your tongue as much. Try it out ad see if you like it.

That's on thing that's confusing me. Many sources say "Use your ~20min addition for FWH," but some others seem to use FWH to replace the 60 min addition.

I can't decide if I should use my flavor hops, and still do a 60 minute addition, or move my 60 minute addition to FWH. Or maybe a little of both?

I FWH my hoppy beers in lieu of my 60 (or 90) minute additions. I've tried it with and without the traditional bittering charge, and each has their own purpose depending on what you want your beer to be. I use Beersmith 2.0 for my recipe formulations and just fly with the IBU numbers it kicks out, and try to stay in the ranges that are appropriate for style (if im brewing to style) or to my taste if I'm brewing just to brew.

I'm making an IIPA. I think I'll split my usual 60 min addition between FWH and regular, throw in a little bit of my flavor hops just for the heck of it, and see what happens.

Generally speaking your FWH addition will replace (or rather act as) your usual bittering addition. You will get a smoother bitterness out of FWH in lieu of a normal bittering addition. There are opinions out there that will tell you that FW hopping will impart flavor similar to a 20 minute addition.

If it's an IIPA, there's so much hops to go around, I doubt you could end up going wrong.

Back