Favorite camping recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually one of the best side dishes a buddy showed me while we were camping was bbq'd cabbage. Take a head of cabbage and score it on the top a bunch, throw in a stick of butter, splash of beer and a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce, wrap it in a ball of aluminum foil and throw it in the fire.

I would always take a good pork roast, coat it in your favorite rub, wrap it in aluminum foil, and bury it in the hot coals of your campfire just before you go to bed. In the morning, dig it out and you've got some great pork for sandwiches, or just reheat it slightly for a good dinner.

I like the foil dinners. We also have had several "Hobo Pie Cookoffs". Get some good quality pie irons and some butter tastin' biscuits in the can. Roll out the biscuits and place them in a buttered iron. (It's easier to roll it with a pastry roller rather than spreading them out by hand, but either will work).

Stuff with your favorite ingredients:
Chicken pot pie
Italian Chicken
BLT
Reuben
Breakfast items (sausage, egg, bacon, anything leftover)
sausage gravy
cheeseburger
ETC!

Cook slowly over the coals until the thing is golden brown and cooked or heated through.

Our rules basically said you could only use ingredients from leftovers, or from the original packaging. Nothing was to be prepared ahead of time specially for the contest. (Just to make it harder).

My friend actually poured cake batter in each half, and put a fudge brownie piece in the center, then cooked each half over the coals until it started to get firm, then quickly put the two halves together and made a hobo pie cake with a fudgy middle. Amazing!

These two are a big hit when I put them together. Rather than dicing the potatoes and onions, I usually slice them very thin, then pile them on top the burger patties.

Fresh green beans with butter and lemon pepper and a little lemon juice goes into its own foil packet.

A twist on the apple recipe we do is to use peaches. Cut them in half, take the pit out and fill in the pit area with a lot of butter & brown sugar.

Nothing very fancy but good and filling. My son likes the burger patties done like this enough that he will pull out the smokie joe now and again to make up a meal when we are not camping.

My favorite camping recipe would be Trout.
Stuff a trout with berries and whatever herbs you choose, wrap with foil and bake on hot rocks from the firepit. this also works on a grill or griddle.

I tried to recreate the flavor in a restaurant once. It could not be done.

My favorite camping recipe would be Trout.
Stuff a trout with berries and whatever herbs you choose, wrap with foil and bake on hot rocks from the firepit. this also works on a grill or griddle.

I tried to recreate the flavor in a restaurant once. It could not be done.

+1 it's amazing doing a small rainbow like this.

Another nice one is large field mushrooms stuffed with some garlic, herbs, olive oil and parmesan and then wrapped in foil and thrown on the coals.

I remember trout fishing with dad when I was young. We caught a few and on the way back to the truck found a small mess of Morel Mushrooms. What a meal!

I remember trout fishing with dad when I was young. We caught a few and on the way back to the truck found a small mess of Morel Mushrooms. What a meal!

Those are the kind of memories that make it all worthwhile!

Friend and I hiked from Wild Basin trailhead near Meeker, CO up to Thunder Lake (7 miles and 2100 ft elev change). Had every intention of catching trout and when we did I pulled the aluminum foil, butter seasoning and a couple of lemons out of the backpack.

I'll probably never eat any fish for the remainder of my life that was that good.

Back