My raspberry Ale turned out womanly...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
...and I'm happy about it!

I tried putting together my very own recipe for the first time. I tried to design it to be a very light bodied ale so the raspberry flavors didn't get masked. I popped the fermenter and the hydromer reading calculated out to be 6.3%. I tasted the fermented ale today while bottling and from the warm, flat beer I was able to make a few observations:

1. The body is a very light body, the hops as well as the grains don't dominate as much as I figured they would.

2. The remaining raspberries that were added when racked to a secondary looked bleached white, and the beer had a great but balanced raspberry flavor.

Basically it was lacking the amount of body I was shooting for. However I think this is actually a great thing, because now I have something I think the SWMBO will really like, and possibly a great beer to take to the beach in a month!

I'm not fond of fruit beers, but since that's what the GF likes, I make them much the same way, light-body, easy on the hops and fruit-forward. I've got a blueberry wheat on tap that tastes like soda. She likes it.

I don't like fruit beers, but if it's a good summer beer that she likes, that's a great thing! I was at a brewpub a couple of nights ago, and he had a blueberry wheat and a peach wheat on tap for the summer. I didn't try them, but the brewer said they were popular.

I think it is perfect because it was an extract recipe I threw together in an hour and i think it will help start the conversion process on my BCM friends, girlfriend, and one slightly feminine guy friend

A 6.3% fruity beer? You should name it Panty Dropper...

That's what backsweetened Apfelwein is called around my place. As for the fruit beers, they're not my thing, but I have a sour blonde in the secondary with 6 lbs of blueberries for the girlfriend and her friends. I took a sample last night and it was pretty dang good from a brewing standpoint, just not my type of beer.

A 6.3% fruity beer? You should name it Panty Dropper...

Haha, well I am not too sure how accurate the reading is because the OG had tons of Raspberry chunks in it. We added 36 oz. fruit for last few minutes of boils, then added 24 oz when racking it to secondary so I am not sure if the sugars from the fruit gave it a boost or not

Back