Yeast... Why am I making this so friggn complicated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just completed my homebrew system and can now do 10G batches. Woo Hoo!! But the VooDoo of yeast is friggn killing me.

OK so Ive been doing research. I've read through Mr. Malty's site and think, and I use that term loosley, think I have it down. Please check me here.

For a standard Ale in a 10G batch I will need to make a 1L starter and then pour this all into a 4 L starter to get the 400B cells needed for the 10G batch. If so, this is the process I woiuld use? Correct?

1. Activate a smak pak
2. Prepare a 1L starter solution by boiling 1L of water with 100G of DME for 15 min and cool
3. Pour in teh activated yeast into the 1L starter, cover with foil and set aside for 18ish hours
4. Make a 4L starter by boiling 4L of water with 400G DME for 15 min and cool.
5. Pour the full 1L initial starter into the 4L. Let rest for 18 hours.

Now. Do I pour in the full volume into the wort or do I chill, decant and pour in the slurry into the wort?

So I just completed my homebrew system and can now do 10G batches. Woo Hoo!! But the VooDoo of yeast is friggn killing me.

OK so Ive been doing research. I've read through Mr. Malty's site and think, and I use that term loosley, think I have it down. Please check me here.

For a standard Ale in a 10G batch I will need to make a 1L starter and then pour this all into a 4 L starter to get the 400B cells needed for the 10G batch. If so, this is the process I woiuld use? Correct?

1. Activate a smak pak
2. Prepare a 1L starter solution by boiling 1L of water with 100G of DME for 15 min and cool
3. Pour in teh activated yeast into the 1L starter, cover with foil and set aside for 18ish hours
4. Make a 4L starter by boiling 4L of water with 400G DME for 15 min and cool.
5. Pour the full 1L initial starter into the 4L. Let rest for 18 hours.

Now. Do I pour in the full volume into the wort or do I chill, decant and pour in the slurry into the wort?

Chill, decant, pour slurry. Just overnight in the fridge should be fine for chilling.

I love this place. I was going to ask the same question. Pitch and wash the yeast after your batch. These are my plans now that doing 12 gallon batches make you think about cost reduction.

Back