reusing yest when ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Well Im brewing a tripel this weekend and I was thinking of reusing the yeast for my next brew. I know that this is not the ideal beer to reuse the yeast from but Im brewing again soon and I want to use the same yeast strain. Im worried about the amount of simple sugars and alcohol causing problems with the next batch.

My question is when repitching yeast how much simple sugar is too much and when is there an ill effect from the hops

you could try harvesting the yeast during high krausen, and adding the suger after that. adding the sugar later during fermentation is by the way a very good practice. unfortunately there's a higher risk of contamination when harvesting, so I've never tried that.

well the tripel has been fermenting for 4 days now and Im still trying to decide when to add the sugar. At the moment Im thinking about adding the sugar when I transfer to the secondary on day 9. Im thinking that there will be enough yeast still in suspension to get the flavor profile and dry finish Im looking for.

Im not sure exactly what yemu is referring to but, when brewing a tripel Im looking for a really dry finish and adding more fermentables and a little oxygen will make the yeast a little more active at the end of fermentation and that will help "clean up" the beer.

What's not ideal about reusing the yeast? People do it all the time, myself included. I wouldn't worry about the simple sugars 'tainting' the yeast strain, it's only when simple sugar is consumed (such as when making a starter) are the yeast cells acclimated to those sugar chains.

Hops do not affect yeast at all.

"What's not ideal about reusing the yeast" - The 1st beer is a pretty high alcohol beer I think that environment can be stressful for the yeast.

I have heard that with heavily hopped beers the yeast can "coat" them selves with protein (I think) for protection from the hops.

"the yeast cells acclimated to those sugar chains" - that is exactly what Im talking about, If I will be repitching the yeast after adding the sugar wouldnt the yeast become acclimated to those sugars then?

"What's not ideal about reusing the yeast" - The 1st beer is a pretty high alcohol beer I think that environment can be stressful for the yeast.

I have heard that with heavily hopped beers the yeast can "coat" them selves with protein (I think) for protection from the hops.

"the yeast cells acclimated to those sugar chains" - that is exactly what Im talking about, If I will be repitching the yeast after adding the sugar wouldnt the yeast become acclimated to those sugars then?

What's considered a high alcohol beer. I have an abbey of leffe bruin in primary , I was thinking of throwing a wheat stout on top of the yeast cake. OG was on the abbey was 1.070

Back