good soil mixture for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarciasHomeBrew

Reaction score
found this on BYO magazine web site

In the bottom of the holes, place a one-inch layer of wood ash, an inch of straw or grass clippings, an inch of some mellow, already composted manure (sheep seems to be about the best), and three inches of the topsoil you removed from the hole, and cover with three inches of mulch.
Water well. Let age and settle for at least two weeks.

I used a mix of 1/3 soil, 1/3 steer manure and 1/3 peat moss. I've got a lot of clay in my soil.

david_42 said:
I used a mix of 1/3 soil, 1/3 steer manure and 1/3 peat moss. I've got a lot of clay in my soil.

I used a mix of 1/4 soil, 1/4 sand, 1/4 steer manure and 1/4 peat moss. I have clayey soil also.
I also plan to use miracle grow fertilizer after the hops sprout. I am not a green thumb, but miracle grow works well on garden plants, shrubs.

I like adding mushroom compost to most new plantings (non hops). It stinks, but the plants love it. The topsoil that I have already has some sand in it, so I won't be adding any of that.

I also plan on doing the buried bucket w/o a bottom to regulate root competition. They can go as deep as they want.

I just did a mix of a loamy soil and 1/4 compost, 1/2 store bought garden soil, and1/4 manure. We'll see...

slimer said:
I like adding mushroom compost to most new plantings (non hops). It stinks, but the plants love it. The topsoil that I have already has some sand in it, so I won't be adding any of that.

I also plan on doing the buried bucket w/o a bottom to regulate root competition. They can go as deep as they want.

What size buckets? I just got a 55gal plastic water drum from a buddy and cut it in half and I'm wondering how many rhizomes I can get in each half (right now I've got two in each).

Be sure to check the soil ph.
You guys with clay soil add some gypsum. Home depot has it for like 4 bucks a bag.
If your soil is acidic like mine you need to adjust it with some lime.

I added compost, lime, gypsum and sand. I have read that Hops like organic fertilizers better than chemical.

My compost is pretty nice but I will also be adding some bone meal it aids in root growth.

slimer said:
I was thinking 5-6 gal buckets that you get at Home Despot.

Too small you think?

I started off thinking that 5 gal would be fine and ended up at 25 gal...lol. First year is really about getting established roots, so my thinking has been the more room the better, but I'm sure that at some point that rule falls down.

I see a few of you have mentioned "steer manure".. is there much of a diff. between steer/cow manure and horse manure? I was planning on using horse manure because a co-worker of mine has a few horses and will bring the manure to me.

Living in AZ I figure the soil is pretty much...uh...bounced and is going to need all the help it can get. I'll probably be adding gypsum and lime as well as the manure and other compost that I have started.

I'm actually taking some free landscape/gardening classes and will ask this question as well tonight.

Kug
:rockin:

Kugster said:
I see a few of you have mentioned "steer manure".. is there much of a diff. between steer/cow manure and horse manure? I was planning on using horse manure because a co-worker of mine has a few horses and will bring the manure to me.

Living in AZ I figure the soil is pretty much...uh...bounced and is going to need all the help it can get. I'll probably be adding gypsum and lime as well as the manure and other compost that I have started.

I'm actually taking some free landscape/gardening classes and will ask this question as well tonight.

Kug

I added a full size truckload to the soil early this year, and plan for more. It's acidic if fresh from stalls, so be sure to ask the guy if it's been sitting for awhile.
Don't want to raise the PH with it, you just want fertilizer. A month outside in a pile is a good rule.
I really use this on EVERYTHING on my property. Trees , and shrubs Love it, and my uncle puts it so thick in his garden every year that you'll sink to your knees=soil is very fluff.

Big "A" said:
Be sure to check the soil ph.
You guys with clay soil add some gypsum. Home depot has it for like 4 bucks a bag.
If your soil is acidic like mine you need to adjust it with some lime.

I added compost, lime, gypsum and sand. I have read that Hops like organic fertilizers better than chemical.

My compost is pretty nice but I will also be adding some bone meal it aids in root growth.

Everyone says "VERY important to check the soil pH."

no-one says What the f-ing pH should be. Some plants like acidic soil, some alkaline, some neutral. What do hops like??????

But, be absolutely sure to check the pH before planting, and ajust with lime, or sulfur, or bleach:drunk:

Last year, I used "biosolids" for my garden.

They said in their materials that it should not be used for plants grown in the ground (carrots, potatoes, radishes, etc.). Does anyone think that using it would make my hops toxic? It's just dried poo.

Last year, it held water very well, but these little plants kept sprouting. I had to spread Preen to help abate it, which I don't want to do with the hops. I would like to keep them organic.

Here's the link to the village information:
http://www.dgsd.org/biosols.htm

Sean said:

no-one says What the f-ing pH should be. Some plants like acidic soil, some alkaline, some neutral. What do hops like??????

But, be absolutely sure to check the pH before planting, and ajust with lime, or sulfur, or bleach:drunk:

6 to 7.5
according to hombrewers garden

karbinator said:
6 to 7.5
according to hombrewers garden

Just picked up that book from Freshops with a couple more rhizomes to add to the list. Any good?

I found a great resource here in LA...FREE compost from the city. We make quite a bit at home but it takes a LONG time. Going down with a buddy soon for another truck load. Just a thought for those who might have green waste pickup where they live...chances are you should be able to get compost for little or no cost. Worth a shot...

karbinator said:
I added a full size truckload to the soil early this year, and plan for more. It's acidic if fresh from stalls, so be sure to ask the guy if it's been sitting for awhile.
Don't want to raise the PH with it, you just want fertilizer. A month outside in a pile is a good rule.
I really use this on EVERYTHING on my property. Trees , and shrubs Love it, and my uncle puts it so thick in his garden every year that you'll sink to your knees=soil is very fluff.

OK...but is that "steer" or "horse" manure? I spoke with a Master Gardner last night about the difference between horse and cow manure and she could not answer my question. I've been told that I should not use horse manure? Does anyone know the difference or why?

I think I will look into the cities free compost. Living on the outskirt of Phoenix there are still alot of farms.

I am actually going to make a few phone calls to some other Master Gardners and see if they have any insight?

Thanks for the add-info!

Cheers!

Kug

Kugster said:
OK...but is that "steer" or "horse" manure? I spoke with a Master Gardner last night about the difference between horse and cow manure and she could not answer my question. I've been told that I should not use horse manure? Does anyone know the difference or why?

I think I will look into the cities free compost. Living on the outskirt of Phoenix there are still alot of farms.

I am actually going to make a few phone calls to some other Master Gardners and see if they have any insight?

Thanks for the add-info!

Cheers!

Kug

I was speaking of horse manure.
I'm not sure of difference, or it being a danger in buring a plant. I would
suspect the cow manure to burn stuff more so than horse. Their stomachs turn food into liquid that's higly acidic (great for tomatoes). When bought in bags, it's already composted (aged)
The horse manure is nicely compacted fiber.....so it will also add fluff to any soil..hence aereation.aging is usually a week if in a stall, or instantly if outdoors.

Right...I follow! Some said it the other way around...that the horse manure would burn the plants...so I should be good. I'll just leave it sit outside for a few days before I mix.

Thanks Karbinator! - you anywhere near Vienna, Va?

Kug

Sean said:

pH 6.5 to 8.0 as per Freshops. My soil is sitting at 7.3.

The thing is that hops will grow in just about any crap that the roots can grow through as long as you fertilize but, if the soil pH and nutrient balance is right the plants have a better chance at producing the maximum yields.

SomedumbJerk said:
what kind of rate should i mix steer manure in with the gardening soil?

Aprroximately a half bag per plant BUT, make sure the manure is well composted (rotted) for at least a week before adding or you could burn the plant.

I got my cuttings last night and seeing how this damn winter wont go away I will be starting them inside.
I picked up some 2 gal pots (just for temp use) and some bags of potting soil that says it will feed for up to 3 months.
Will this be fine until I can get them outside?
They will be in the pots for maybe a month.

FSR402 said:
I got my cuttings last night and seeing how this damn winter wont go away I will be starting them inside.
I picked up some 2 gal pots (just for temp use) and some bags of potting soil that says it will feed for up to 3 months.
Will this be fine until I can get them outside?
They will be in the pots for maybe a month.

It'll be fine. Just don't mess up the root ball too badly on xfer or it might stress the plant

If I'm adding some ash to my big planter boxes do I just mix it in with the rest of the soil or do I put a layer on top or a layer near the bottom? I have no clue, I am no greenthumb.

Beeropolis said:
If I'm adding some ash to my big planter boxes do I just mix it in with the rest of the soil or do I put a layer on top or a layer near the bottom? I have no clue, I am no greenthumb.

I would dust the top with the ash to allow it to soak in. I don't remember exactly what the pH of ash is but if used to excessively it can alter the pH of the soil negatively. Usually, wood ash is compared to that of Gypsum (IIRC) in it's application and effect on soil pH.

In summary, I'd use it like a fertilizer when applied directly to the mounds. Ideally, I think, you'd mix it with compost to get a nice micro/macro nutrient mix.

slimer said:

Oh hey, just saw this. Be careful with SMS because the level of soluable salts can be quite high. This would be an effect that will show up most likely after years of continual use. So if you can, make sure your source is being processed in a manner that keeps the salt levels low.

pdf on the subject

From what I am told, milorginite is made from Milwaukee 'biosolids'. After they press the sludge to remove the water they mix alot of lime into the cake to kill any lingering bacteria. so it may be a little on the alkeline side.

This thread is full of more shiat than a hog farm's runoff pond after a plague of dysentery! :D

well I just prepped for 40 rhizomes and this is what I did in clay or very close to it. I dug my holes 12"diamater and 3' deep I put about 1" of wood ash covered with about 2" of straw and watered with about 5 gallons. The soil that I pulled from the holes I mixed in a concrete mixer 50/50 with a good soil amendment from the landscape materials place here in Redding I also added a small handfull of 15-15-15 to the mix before I put it all back in the hole, Then watered very good. Then to top it all off I built 40 boxes 18"x18"x6" and set them over the holes this is where I added the GOOD STUFF an organic planting mix. I did all this yesterday.
now I am just waiting on rhizomes. 20 williamette 20 horizon
I cant hardly sleep:)
JJ

Jaybird said:
well I just prepped for 40 rhizomes and this is what I did in clay or very close to it. I dug my holes 12"diamater and 3' deep I put about 1" of wood ash covered with about 2" of straw and watered with about 5 gallons. The soil that I pulled from the holes I mixed in a concrete mixer 50/50 with a good soil amendment from the landscape materials place here in Redding I also added a small handfull of 15-15-15 to the mix before I put it all back in the hole, Then watered very good. Then to top it all off I built 40 boxes 18"x18"x6" and set them over the holes this is where I added the GOOD STUFF an organic planting mix. I did all this yesterday.
now I am just waiting on rhizomes. 20 williamette 20 horizon
I cant hardly sleep:)
JJ

Sounds similar to what I did. I put near 40 in the ground the other day, and keep thinking those boxes are going to get small next year. Anyways, I guess if it does, I'll be back down in there working the ground again next year.

karbinator said:
keep thinking those boxes are going to get small next year. Anyways, I guess if it does, I'll be back down in there working the ground again next year.
Oh ya me too but this is just to get me started. I will be pulling the boxes next year once the rhizoms have a chance to establish
JJ

I am trying half wine barrels this year and organic soils.
Drilled a few drain holes, added small rocks and layers of
different soils.
"worm tea" doubled my production two years ago.
Still haven't figured out how they milk worms ;)
waiting to see if they grow before worrying about a trellis though.
My plan is to screw eye hooks into the wine barrels and a few
in the gazebo above them.

Maybe I'm too simplistic I just used the commercial planting soil for vegetables and flowers. :)

Back