Help a N00b: oak in Welches White wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I've done So, I did 3 gallons of juice and sugar up to 1070 or so (I didn't take good notes). It's done fermenting, but I haven't taken a final gravity reading. I have tasted it, and it seems a little too sweet and fruity to me. I will be adding acid blend to taste before bottling. My question is should I oak. If so, how much and how long?

It's a 3 gallon batch. How much would you oak? I'll be using JD chips if I do because that's what's on hand. I can pop them in the oven if necessary.

tennesseean_87 said:
I've done So, I did 3 gallons of juice and sugar up to 1070 or so (I didn't take good notes). It's done fermenting, but I haven't taken a final gravity reading. I have tasted it, and it seems a little too sweet and fruity to me. I will be adding acid blend to taste before bottling. My question is should I oak. If so, how much and how long?

It's a 3 gallon batch. How much would you oak? I'll be using JD chips if I do because that's what's on hand. I can pop them in the oven if necessary.

If its still sweet tasting then it is not done fermenting. Do take another sg reading to verify. If its still above 1.000 then it is not done. You may need to add yeast nutriants. What yeast did you use?
I don't like oak so I can't offer advise!

Yea with a starting gravity of 1.070 it only has a possible ABV of 9%-10%. Any wine yeast and lots of others should all handle that unless you got a stuck fermentation.

I agree to check the gravity and see where it is at. You may need to add another round of yeast nutrient or re-pitch with a strong finishing yeast like lalvin k1v-1116 or lalvin ec-1118.

For the oak I would go very light in a Welche's wine. Probably measure out 3/4 ounce and let that sit about 7 days and check then wine. See where it is at and leave longer if you want more oaky flavor. I probably would suggest throwing them in the oven for about 10 min. I use JD oak chips for smoking all the time but never tried them in a wine.

It's below 1.000 (0.996, I think). I should be taking a bit better notes with this, but I've got tons of beer stuff I'm doing and it hasn't been on the front burner, so to speak. I believe I used Montrachet yeast, or maybe Cotes de Blanc (I forget what I had in the fridge) and probably added nutrients.

After looking at some notes I believe I added 1.5 lb sugar to the 3 gallons, bringing it to 1081 OG (11.2 %abv now).

I'll pour a few samples and dose with acid blend, then add oak if I still want it, starting at 3/4 oz for a week.

Thanks for the help!

I have added oak and it gives it a hint of rustic flavor. Good. Put in secondary after fermentation complete. Let sit for a few weeks while degassing. I used about handfull in gallon.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Back