Charlotte, NC Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WharfRat

Reaction score
Tried a search, but cannot find anything. Is the closest action really in the triangle area?

If we could get one organized countrymaltgroup is in hickory. Might not even have to pay for shipping

brewinginnc said:
If we could get one organized countrymaltgroup is in hickory. Might not even have to pay for shipping

I saw that in my recent google research. That is close! Anyone know what the minimum buy would be or whether one could even buy from them without a tax ID number or something like that?

Anyone here done one before? I would probably be down for two or three sacks myself, and would be happy to help, but feel I need at least an experienced group buy coach to help :).

... I have a couple other folks who would buy a sack or two apiece as well. Hopefully get some more interest here too...

I'd be down for a group buy and have wondered why the CLT area hasn't had one. Not sure if we can get an account with the malt group, but I'd definitely buy a bag or two. We need 40 bags to be able to order a pallet.

Alright, were up to 6 people. Not sure how many bags people are looking to buy, but we probably need 12-15 people before we get serious about pulling details together to hit a pallet.

Been slaughtered at work, but in-between firedrills have been (rather slackly) researching how to set-up the whole thing. Have come up with a goose-egg for CMG: can anyone on the thread speak to what would need to be done in order to get (or use) an account with them?

Aside from that, looks like their current inventory/price list is password-protected. If we had access to the latest, it'd probably be fairly simple to fix up a spreadsheet to run a tally of what everyone wants, with a running tally of lbs/bags to fill a pallet as well as cost-per-person. I would be happy to maintain this once we get some intel on setting up an account and if possible general logistics of the thing. I will PM a few group buy thread owners and see what they say, but speak up in the meantime if you've done this before.

Been slaughtered at work, but in-between firedrills have been (rather slackly) researching how to set-up the whole thing. Have come up with a goose-egg for CMG: can anyone on the thread speak to what would need to be done in order to get (or use) an account with them?

Aside from that, looks like their current inventory/price list is password-protected. If we had access to the latest, it'd probably be fairly simple to fix up a spreadsheet to run a tally of what everyone wants, with a running tally of lbs/bags to fill a pallet as well as cost-per-person. I would be happy to maintain this once we get some intel on setting up an account and if possible general logistics of the thing. I will PM a few group buy thread owners and see what they say, but speak up in the meantime if you've done this before.

I found the current price list that CountryMalt uses for homebrewers to do group buys in the VA group buy thread. The prices in there are much steeper than I remember seeing. I thought we could buy bags of 2-row for around $30, but the cheapest they have is Great Western 2-row for approx $46 a bag after shipping. I can just buy a 50 lbs bag of Briess 2-row at Alt Bev for around $56 and CountryMalt wants $75 for the same thing! My interest has rapidly faded in this based upon pricing.

Here is the link to the price book: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56584482/Homebrew Catalog 1-11-13.pdf

I found the current price list that CountryMalt uses for homebrewers to do group buys in the VA group buy thread. The prices in there are much steeper than I remember seeing. I thought we could buy bags of 2-row for around $30, but the cheapest they have is Great Western 2-row for approx $46 a bag after shipping. I can just buy a 50 lbs bag of Briess 2-row at Alt Bev for around $56 and CountryMalt wants $75 for the same thing! My interest has rapidly faded in this based upon pricing.

Here is the link to the price book: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56584482/Homebrew Catalog 1-11-13.pdf

That is the homebrewer price list. The commercial account prices are more in line with what you remember. It is my understanding that individuals can no longer open commercial accounts though.

Im involved with a group buy with CMG here in Atlanta. I was told they are not taking on new non-commercial customers. They are only honoring customers they already had in place before this rule was implemented.

I'm very interested in hearing if you are able to find another company. I can send you our google docs spreadsheet we use which factors in shipping, fuel surcharge, ect.... For a total per person price.

They are allowing home brew grandfathered accounts to purchase, just not at the commercial pricing like they used to. If you get deliveries to a brewery or similar you still may be able to do it though.

Is there any chance Alternative Beverage would do a bulk sale to us if we committed to buy like we would for a group buy? Perhaps there are ways to make this a win/win for Jess and for us.

Colorado Malted Rye Color: 2.0-3.0 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.94 per lb.

Colo. Belgian Style Pale Malt Color: 3.0-4.0 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb.

Colorado Malted Red Wheat Color: 2.0-2.5 L Regular Pricing:$1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.95 per lb.

Colorado Malted White Wheat Color: 2.0-2.5 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.95 per lb.

Colorado 2-Row Color: 2.0-2.5 Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

Colorado Pilsner Color: 1.7-1.9 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

Colorado Base Pale Color: 2.5-2.9 L Regular Price: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

Colorado Malted Rye Color: 2.0-3.0 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.94 per lb.

Colo. Belgian Style Pale Malt Color: 3.0-4.0 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb.

Colorado Malted Red Wheat Color: 2.0-2.5 L Regular Pricing:$1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.95 per lb.

Colorado Malted White Wheat Color: 2.0-2.5 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.95 per lb.

Colorado 2-Row Color: 2.0-2.5 Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

Colorado Pilsner Color: 1.7-1.9 L Regular Pricing: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

Colorado Base Pale Color: 2.5-2.9 L Regular Price: $1.00 per lb. Pallet Pricing: $0.89 per lb.

You read my mind. Was thinking the same thing after the BBR interview.

te3b0r said:
You read my mind. Was thinking the same thing after the BBR interview.

The company emailed back and said out the door, it would cost about $500 to deliver a pallet. At $12/bag in fixed costs, at $0.89/lb, it's cheaper to buy a bag at the lhbs.

And the search continues.

You can get pale malt from Riverbend Malt up in Asheville, NC for $0.85/lb. I know they sell some stuff to Triple C in Charlotte. We might be able to piggy back off of one of their orders to consolidate freight or even just pick up a pallet in a truck and drive it down to CLT for less than $10 a bag.

http://riverbendmalt.com/?page_id=21

I just met the guy from carolinabrewsupply last night and am waiting to hear back on sacks of 2row and marris otter. It might be a cheaper way to go. I will keep all posted.

No storefront. It is individual price. If you email him his new price list is lower than the website, not a huge selection but there are a few deals to be had

If we can find a decent group buy price, I'd be interested in getting in on this as well. I think someone suggested it, but can we coordinate with any local breweries to piggy back a pallet of grain at their pricing?

Back