All-grain gravity frame setup questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
I've been doing all grain for 6 months or so and enjoying it, however my turkey fryer is beat to hell, and heating my strike and sparge water on my stove and mashing in the kitchen before moving things outside for boiling could be a cleaner process. I currently batch sparge with a cooler and even though my cooler is big enough and I have a 15 gallon kettle, I don't see myself going to 10 gallon batches anytime soon.

I'm looking at some kind of new but cheap setup, and wondering if this device could meet my needs for a gravity fed brewing setup, and how it would actually work?
King Kooker

Heat your sparge water outside and drain it directly into your mash tun. Then all you need to do is lift your mash tun up high enough to launter. I use a pair of saw horses. I know thats probably not what you were looking for, as you probably want to save your propane for wort boiling. I would consider moving the hot liquid the most dangerous part of the brew day, but at least you are not hauling it through a minefield of trip hazards when you walk outside with it.

Heat your sparge water outside and drain it directly into your mash tun. Then all you need to do is lift your mash tun up high enough to launter. I use a pair of saw horses. I know thats probably not what you were looking for, as you probably want to save your propane for wort boiling. I would consider moving the hot liquid the most dangerous part of the brew day, but at least you are not hauling it through a minefield of trip hazards when you walk outside with it.

Yeah that's what I do sometimes with just my turkey fryer. I'm wondering if the dual burner contraption I linked to would be something that would make my day easier. I guess it's probably not tall enough to drain from the lower burner into the fermentation vessel, but I'm usually putting the brewpot into an icebath anyway so I'd be moving it either way.

I've been brewing AG for years and infrequently wished I had two burners. Only real reason would be to split a mash and boil at the same time. Figure you have an hour to heat up your sparge water. Its not like you are pressed for time to get that water fired up.

Back