First batch in cold weather, help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
OK so I ran in to a small problem when I was planning the fermenting phase of my Honey Brown today. I realized my ferment freezer doesn't heat. The weather right now is low 40's at night and 60's during the day. I need to maintain high 60's for the Honey Brown.

I have a Ranco single stage to control the freezer. I wish I had shelled out for the dual stage controller. Instead I went to Petsmart and bought a 60W ceramic heating bulb (no light). It seems to work great except the only reason the freezer comes on is to cool the bulb now.

My concern is that now I'll be running 60 watts continuously to heat and the compressor occasionally to cool.

Is there a cheap dual stage I can do or do you guys think this setup is ok?

6390-5-gallons-honey-brown-ceramic-60w-heating-element-maintain-high-60s-during-winter-months.jpg

ebay temp controller, just built one for like $35 ish? anyway by the time you get that it will be too late.

Otherwise doesn't the ranco work for heat too? just reverse it since you wont have any problems cooling.

wow, i totally forgot I could make the ranco heat too. I unplugged the freezer and plugged the heater in to the ranco. changed the setting to H1. That should work till it warms up around here. Thanks.

P.S. I just ordered 2 of the ebay controllers. I'll use them for my next batch. thanks again

Back