American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said this drinks well young, but how young is too young?

Like lots of others, I have an event which popped up a bit too soon for comfort. I'm hoping to get from grain to glass in 18 days. However, some things to help it out...I will be doing a pressure ferment which will eliminate the need to force carb and hopefully create a cleaner profile. I'd really like to make a pale ale, but maybe I should stick to something lighter..

Will the dry-hop help for 1 week at cold temperatures? Or should I try a hop tea?

I don't know if I've ever had it as young as 18 days, so I don't really know. Dryhopping at cold temperatures will take longer. I've dryhopped as short as three days with great results (at room temperature), though.

I am down to about a 12 pack of this one. Its been my favorite beer to date. It improved so much in the last 2 weeks that I plan to brew up a couple of low gravity batches with shorter turn around time to tide me over while I lengthen the pipeline. Thanks for a great recipe.

After 13 days mine finished out at 1.016, which gives me an attenuation of about 70%. I'm going to dry hop it now but it tasted absolutely delicious with a great balance.

hi yooper.
Im gonna give this one a try, but I have a question: Do you add sauermalz to the recipe for pH control?

im thinking like 3 oz.. (2% of grainbill).

Otherwise ill prob just add a little gypsum and a little calc chloride.

cheers.

I am not yoop but I have highly alkaline water and have used saurmalz to acidify the mash. I went about 2% on a Pliny clone last year with no taste impact to the beer. I nailed my mash pH and it was a darned tasty beer.

Guess what I am saying is that I have been told that 2 to 3% acid malt should not be noticeable in the flavor/aroma and so far that has been my experience

For what it's worth, I picked up the ingredients for this today and am not using saurmalz. I plan on cutting the water with distiller and using some gypsum and cacl

winvarin said:
For what it's worth, I picked up the ingredients for this today and am not using saurmalz. I plan on cutting the water with distiller and using some gypsum and cacl

Thanks to both... I think I will try some for my attempt. Prob 3 oz

Update: after dry hopping for 3 days at room temp I had to chill and carb for some friends this weekend. At serving time it was 7 days dry hopping. This has been my most enjoyable brew to date. Love the nice bite from the cascades and a pleasant malty backbone. Thank you again for sharing the recipe.

surfnturf said:
Update: after dry hopping for 3 days at room temp I had to chill and carb for some friends this weekend. At serving time it was 7 days dry hopping. This has been my most enjoyable brew to date. Love the nice bite from the cascades and a pleasant malty backbone. Thank you again for sharing the recipe.

Did you just dry hop in the keg?

I have this one bubbling away in my primary right now. I plan on using 1oz centennial instead of Cascade for the dry hop.

I will go ahead and admit my folly. I tried to shortcut my batch sparge over the weekend and did the equivalent of a no sparge (complete with the unplanned for 18% hit to my efficiency)

The result (fermenting as we speak) is what I expect to be a 3.4% 39IBU dry hopped Lite Pale Ale. Good thing summer is upon us and temps have already topped 100F in OK. Looks like I'll be quaffing my Lawnmower APA after yard work this season.

Should be interesting to see what the low yield does here as all of my other numbers were pretty well spot on for this batch. Mashed in and settled at 152.7 after a few minutes. Mash was still showing 151.5 at the end. Got a good conversion test with iodine and my mash pH measured 5.4 right after dough in and 30 min into the mash.

Pitched a fresh pack of us05 and had a full krausen in less than 6 hrs. Pitched at 68f and temperature controller has held it at a solid 64 f since.

Sadly, it seems like the only thing that went wrong is that I left 20% of my sugar in the MLT.

I'm sampling my first bottle (early of course, because I'm weak and can't wait, one week after bottling). This is an awesome ale. Flavors of malt, caramel, and Cascades. I used Wyeast 1450 which did a great job.

Thanks for another one Yoop!

just racked my first batch of this over to the keg to dryhop.

I grabbed a hydro sample while racking just to see what the FG was, assuming it would be close to the estimated 1013 that yooper gets... it was 1020!!

I figured after 17 days, 10 of which were after the krausen had fallen... and given the fervor with which the fermentation took off, I would be fine and fermentation would be done...

but 1020..

so, Im wondering if any of you have had this problem with us05 and this recipe. My mash temps were pretty spot on.. but ive been keeping things warm in the oven so the temp at the bottom of my mash tun may have been warmer at times than I realized.

any suggestions?.. I dont know that repitching would help... plus, now its on dry hops.

HItransplant said:
just racked my first batch of this over to the keg to dryhop.

I grabbed a hydro sample while racking just to see what the FG was, assuming it would be close to the estimated 1013 that yooper gets... it was 1020!!

I figured after 17 days, 10 of which were after the krausen had fallen... and given the fervor with which the fermentation took off, I would be fine and fermentation would be done...

but 1020..

so, Im wondering if any of you have had this problem with us05 and this recipe. My mash temps were pretty spot on.. but ive been keeping things warm in the oven so the temp at the bottom of my mash tun may have been warmer at times than I realized.

any suggestions?.. I dont know that repitching would help... plus, now its on dry hops.

Anybody?

passedpawn said:
Had to be your temps. Or, the malt was not well converted by malster. I'm betting on temps.

I seriously doubt it was the yeast. You could add some more.

That's what I'm thinking...

Odd though, nothing in my process changed. Guess I need to go back to wrapping my tun vs putting it in the oven.

HItransplant said:
That's what I'm thinking...

Odd though, nothing in my process changed. Guess I need to go back to wrapping my tun vs putting it in the oven.

If it's significantly under attenuated vs. what you're wanting, you could always try a touch of amylase enzyme. Just be careful not to overdo it. Or you could just dry hop the hell out of it. I'm a big fan of beers with a heavy floral or citrus nose against a malty sweet background.

winvarin said:
If it's significantly under attenuated vs. what you're wanting, you could always try a touch of amylase enzyme. Just be careful not to overdo it. Or you could just dry hop the hell out of it. I'm a big fan of beers with a heavy floral or citrus nose against a malty sweet background.

Well I dry hopped a little heavier than one oz... But not by much... I think I'll just hope for the best. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Brewed this. It was also my first experience with dry hopping. I'm glad it turned out awesome! Thanks for the recipe. :ban:

Heading on over to BMW Saturday morning to pick up the ingredients for this. It will be my first brewday in our new house. I am a Wyeast guy though, so I may go with 1056 which is my go to Am Pale Ale yeast.

Brewwed a batch today using a fresh vial of WPL001 -- is this pretty much the same as us-o5 ?

I did that as well, it's been in primary for about a week and looks sort of funny. I found this thread and this thread so I feel comfortable about the yeast, just not how it looks. It was also my first time using Whirlfloc tabs so I wonder if I messed something up there.

brewinsam said:
I did that as well, it's been in primary for about a week and looks sort of funny. I found this thread and this thread so I feel comfortable about the yeast, just not how it looks. It was also my first time using Whirlfloc tabs so I wonder if I messed something up there.

There may be some minor differences between liquid and dry but they are essentially the same strain.

In fact, I have this beer on tap made with us05 and it is mighty tasty. It's a clean yeast that really gets out of the way to let malt and hops shine through. It's my go to house yeast for most of my stock house ales.

brewinsam said:

And can you describe "looks funny"?

yoop-- thanks for a great recipe.. First batch Ive made that I feel really happy with. Definitely a re-brew in the future. cheers!

Thx for the links abt the 2 strains... time will tell... I am fermenting just nice and steady at 70 in the basement...will be interesting to see if the "yeasty twang" otheres mention comes through in the WPL001 .. I pitched it from a 1L starter, and it took off w/in 12 hours.

I am kegging for the first time. Has anyone kegged this? Carb naturally? If so how much priming sugar. Force carb? If so how much pressure.

Thanks

Brewed this yesterday for my first all grain. My mash was a little low-150, but I don't think that will be too much of an issue. According to my calcs, I hit 78.9% efficiency. I'm pretty happy seeing as it was my first time.

Don't have a wort chiller yet and couldn't get the temp down below 85 last night. Put it in the primary stuck it in my converted fridge fermentation chamber to cool overnight. Pitched the yeast this morning at 65 degress. Still no action in the airlock, but I'm not concerned.

Man, the wort was tasty. This is going to be good.

Thanks, Yooper!

Yoop,

I used 12 PSI at 40 degrees and the keg was gone in about 1.5 hours. Everyone loved it. It is on the short list to return soon. As an aside, you are batting two for two. Stone is tasting great as well. Hmm, I think I smell a dogfish.

Two weeks in the fermenter, just took my reading and she is sitting at 1.010 and clearing up beautifully.

I had too much water in my mash and I ended up with way too much after I sparged, I boiled for 90 minutes but I used a new kettle and my B/O rate was way not expected so I ended up short and had to add water to get my OG in range.

The taste is incredible and I'm hoping it is what I've been searching for! I can't wait to keg this!

I want to brew this as a housewarming gift for my bro in law. He's got a quarter barrel keg I can put it in. I don't have access to beersmith at the moment. Would anyone be able to tell me ingredient amounts for a 1/4 barrel batch?

I want to brew this as a housewarming gift for my bro in law. He's got a quarter barrel keg I can put it in. I don't have access to beersmith at the moment. Would anyone be able to tell me ingredient amounts for a 1/4 barrel batch?

A 1/4 barrel is 7.5 gallons. You can either do the 5 gallon batch, or scale it up by 1.5 to make 7.5 gallons.

Yooper said:
A 1/4 barrel is 7.5 gallons. You can either do the 5 gallon batch, or scale it up by 1.5 to make 7.5 gallons.

Wouldn't he need to scale up by 2.5 gal?

Latest posts

Back