So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not brewing this weekend...to busy.

I have March Madness to watch, a party Saturday night, a CD Introduction patio concert to attend on Sunday, and a lot of RIFT to play in between... :)

I plan to brew another batch of my Belgian next weekend though... :ban:

TripHops

I decided to do another after work Friday night brew session. Last week's Prima Pils-Ale was fun, even though I wasn't in bed until 3:30 am, so I'm going to do a huge Sterling SMaSH pilsner with Pilsen malt.

I can't decide whether to use the S-23 or the W-34/70 yeast though. I'm shooting for +/- 10% on this one with 35-40 IBU. Any thoughts?

Rarely ever brew weekends.....one of the dividends of retirement. Monday: Boston Plus Amber Ale. First Spring brewday!

Just bottled up 6 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen (tasted sooooooooooooooo good!) and 3 gallons of a Chocolate Rye Brown Ale (brown ale made with chocolate rye malt, aged with chocolate nibs immersed in bourbon - good stuff!) yesterday.. Man was that a lot of work. I'm picking up a chest freezer I found on Craigslist for $50 after work and cannot WAIT to be rid of bottling soon.. I'd say after 2.5 years, I'm well over due to start kegging. Too bad I have to wait til next pay check to buy any kegs and a temperature controller :(

I'm brewing up a Munich - Nugget SMaSH IPA this weekend. This will be my second SMaSH - the first one (Vienna - Columbus) came out unbalanced, so I'm really going to try keep the IBUs low to get a better malt profile. I don't have my recipe in front of me right now, but I believe I had it at about 50 IBUs or so w/ 1.065 -1.070 SG. I think I may cut out a few lbs of Munich and scale back the hops to the 30-45 IBU range to make this more of a pale ale that I can quickly get in the pipeline and start quaffing. And I'll be enjoying some of my Rye Brown Ale (same as above except it w/o the chocolate nibs) for the brew day!

I am Brewing Sunday. Can someone take a look at my recipe and give any advice? New to this.

Malt
6.6lb Light LME
1 lb Golden DME
Spec Grains
1lb Caramel 40L
8oz. Victory

60 min boil. 2 gal. for 5 gal batch

60min 1.5oz Centannial whole 11.6
60min 2 oz cascade pellet 5.0
30 min 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
15 min centennial whole 11.6
5 min willamette pellet 4.6
dry hop 7 days 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
secondary 14 to 21 days

nottingham yeast

this is an IPA Kit that I just took some of the parts of just the grains and malts, ignored some of them (most of the hops) and added some to make an APA. according to my calc this should come out to 63.2 IBU 6 SRM 5.9% ABV OG - 1.059 FG - 1.015.
My question is will the combination of ingredients and the schedule produce a nice hoppy ale that is still drinkable. What I am going for here is like a 2 hearted ale with a bit more character. Only other ingred. I have that I could play with are come Columbus Hop pellets and some more cascade hop pellets. any advise would be welcome

Brewing my first IPA recipe tomorrow afternoon! Should be great. Thinking about doing a full boil even though its an extract brew because I have a turkey fryer that hasn't been used yet. Thoughts?

Terrapin Rye clone on Saturday. I'd have brewed it last Saturday but my LHBS screwed up the grain bill and I had to reorder from Brewmasters... scheduled for Saturday delivery. Starter up and running.

I am Brewing Sunday. Can someone take a look at my recipe and give any advice? New to this.

Malt
6.6lb Light LME
1 lb Golden DME
Spec Grains
1lb Caramel 40L
8oz. Victory

60 min boil. 2 gal. for 5 gal batch

60min 1.5oz Centannial whole 11.6
60min 2 oz cascade pellet 5.0
30 min 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
15 min centennial whole 11.6
5 min willamette pellet 4.6
dry hop 7 days 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
secondary 14 to 21 days

nottingham yeast

this is an IPA Kit that I just took some of the parts of just the grains and malts, ignored some of them (most of the hops) and added some to make an APA. according to my calc this should come out to 63.2 IBU 6 SRM 5.9% ABV OG - 1.059 FG - 1.015.
My question is will the combination of ingredients and the schedule produce a nice hoppy ale that is still drinkable. What I am going for here is like a 2 hearted ale with a bit more character. Only other ingred. I have that I could play with are come Columbus Hop pellets and some more cascade hop pellets. any advise would be welcome

Looks good to me! The only change I would make would be to up the centennial at 60 and put more cascade toward the end. Low alpha on the cascade means more waste when used as bittering in my opinion...

@borovy3488 - Full boil is ALWAYS better. With a turkey fryer, go for it!

@whclay - I'd say your in IPA territory with your IBUs there. Looks like it'll be pretty hoppy, potentially unbalanced (not necessarily bad if you're a hop head, but I doubt you'll have much malt backbone here), maybe too bitter.. You've got 3.5 oz of hops @ 60 minutes for only 1.059 SG - in my opinion, that's way too much for bitter. I can't calculate it out right now as I'm at work, but I'd move at least 1.5 oz to later in the boil (or even for dry hopping). Also, 30 minute additions really don't give you much, IMHO, in the way of flavor, aroma, or bitterness... I stick with 60, 15, 10, 5, or flame out. Your grain bill looks fine but I'd alter your hop schedule some. Just my .02

planning to go to the brew store in the morning. haven't decided yet between an irish red or another bock.

just got back from brew store. picked some ingredients for an irish red. plan to start it here shortly. if not this afternoon, then planning to start this evening. :mug:

LHBS has what I need, so batch #3 is gonna be an Abita Turbodog clone. I'm using the recipe from BYO that was posted here, but opting for the german ale yeast.

Dry stout is boiling right now.

Tried a step mash for the first time. Messed up on the temp of the second infusion by a lot. It was supposed to be a 120 -> 152 mash, but it ended up being more of a 120 -> 140 -> 152 mash. Now I know!

Here's a pic of the runnings from the mash:
259983841.jpg

I think this is the first weekend in weeks that hasn't been spent brewing or bottling. We have no room in the booze closet! But we're going to a St. Patrick's Party tomorrow so that should free up some space (although there are a whole bunch of *shudder* Bud Light drinkers at the party).

Think I'll do an India Brown Ale this weekend if I can come up with a recipe. I think I have my malt bill figured out but am still mulling over what type of hops and yeast to use. I've got a ton of Tettnang I'd like to get rid of...

Brewin 5 gallons of Jamils Light Lager tonight and 5 gallons of American Dark Lager tomorrow morning. Come on Summer.

Brewing a wheat wine (basically a barley wine with 1/2 the grist being wheat) and I'll do some kinda gyle. Have the grain, suppose I aught to figure out what I'm brewin...

I'm brewing a Two Hearted Ale clone on Sunday. I'm not much of a hop head but my friends and family are so I'm brewing for then this time.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Later today I'll be brewing up the Waldo Lake Amber kit from NB - I've got a few guys coming over to serve as cheap labor / learn the process.

Mashing a belgian dubbel and making candy sugar right now (6 gallons). Will be making 12 gallons of my house amber ale later with my brew partner.

Keep it Belgian my friend. Im going to keep brewing them until my "kick" goes away. Then its on to farmhosue ales...

I am brewing this weekend. Doing my first all grain, an Oktoberfest. The SWMBO is cleaning the entire kitchen, she has no idea what is about to hit! :D

Wife took my 10 week old daughter over to my parents' house for some socialization. Gives me a great opportunity to brew up a doppelbock. Just mashed in!

Back