oxygenation foam!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

single.barrel

Reaction score
I just started full boils, and subsequently am using a pure oxygen system with a diffusion stone. My problem is even at a low setting the oxygen foams the wort so greatly I can't oxygenate for over a couple minutes without it trying to foam over. Would an anti foaming agent work or any other suggestions would be appreciated

single.barrel said:
I just started full boils, and subsequently am using a pure oxygen system with a diffusion stone. My problem is even at a low setting the oxygen foams the wort so greatly I can't oxygenate for over a couple minutes without it trying to foam over. Would an anti foaming agent work or any other suggestions would be appreciated

Don't use any anti-foam agent. That stuff doesn't have any place in brewing.

With pure O2, you only need to oxygenate for 1 to 2 minutes anyway. What kind of diffusion stone are you using? Is it one of those stainless steel ones?

Kai

My aeration system from Williams brewing says only a minute and your good. I used it yesterday and at 1 minute there was foam to the top of the carboy, so it worked well. I have a nice fermentation going on 10 hours later.

Dan

I am using the williams oxygenation system as well I beleive it is a .5 micron diffusion stone

I also use the wand from William's, 90 seconds is sufficient for me. The stone that they use is a 2 micron stone.

Theoretically, if your oxygen flow is 1 LPM you only need 8s of oxygen to fully saturate 5 gallons of water. Of course things hardly work perfectly, but I would suspect anything over 20s is overkill.

To really minimize the foam make sure when you transfer into your primary that you siphon. If you just dump it in our pour it through a funnel/strainer it aerates it pretty good so when you add the oxygen it foams up fast. The last few times I siphoned my wort into the primary I could oxygenate and stir with the wand for 2-3 minutes before I had to stop for the foam to settle.

Back