Irish Red Ale St Fuad's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
see below
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
play it by ear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
play it by ear
Additional Fermentation
aging helps
Irish Red
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
09-D Scottish And Irish Ale, Irish Red Ale
Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 17 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.75
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 13.98
Anticipated SRM: 15.9
Anticipated IBU: 18.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG 11.97 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.3 11.00 lbs. Vienna Malt America 71.27 4
3.9 0.50 lbs. Crystal 30L America 71.27 30
2.0 0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley America 56.73 450
7.8 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 67.12 2
Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 15.0 40 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.7 8 min.

Yeast
-----
Wyeast 1084 / WLP004
-OR-
Wyeast 1728 / WLP028

howd that turn out?

I've brewed this recipe 2 different times now and it has turned out fantastic. Perfect color, decent head, great aroma, and a very sweet malty full flavored brew that lends itself to more than 1 very well. I like this recipe.

Looking to make this sometime soon but I haven't made the jump to all grain yet. Is 6 lbs Amber DME a good substitution for the Vienna Malt in this?

been afk for well . . . . a while . . . .

If ya want to bump this up a notch and have a AWESOME winter warmer for NEXT winter add 3lbs of honey. Do everything the same but let brew it in March and let it sit for until December

I never got to brewing this one when I wanted to because I didn't have the yeast. But now ive got the proper yeast and starter made and I will be brewing it tomorrow.

I bottled it today. Color was excellent and it also tasted great. I am including this recipe in a competition later this month. I will post how it places.

Well's it's been in bottle about 2 weeks. I am having glass of it, poured with about a 2 inch head. Great color, long head retention and lacing to follow it. Better than commercial IRA's ive had.

Well, I originally planned to have this ready for St Pat's day but I was a little late...

But just tapped last night and fell in love! It's been a while since I brewed and Irish Red and this was exactly what I was looking for. Big head, nice malt flavor and beautiful deep red color. I have already shared this recipe this morning with other brewing friends.

Also, the "Winter Warmer" you suggest with the honey sounds great too. I'm going to get that going next month and see how it turns out this winter.

Thanks Pumbaa!!!

I brewed this recipe with just one change. When I went to brew I found that I only had 6 # of Vienna Malt America on hand so ended up using that and 5 # of 2 row. It turned out great and I can not wait to brew this with all Vienna.

Thanks for the Recipe.:rockin:

Brewing today and dumping onto a yeast cake of WLP004 I have been using for my irish blonde, first real all grain batch today... can't wait to see how it turns out!

Just finished the sparge waiting on the boil, looks more brown than I expected. Just a faint tint of red.

This is my first official all grain so I am going on like nothing is wrong. If I need to do something please somebody stop me :)

EDIT: Well it did turn a nice garnet/ruby color once cooled, but like a ******* I got so excited about it that I forgot the basics. I failed to pay attention to the volume and just went ahead doing what I normally do during an extract... ended up with 6.5 gallons at 1.045 - any thoughts? Should I go back and add some DME to make up for it? I figured a lb of DME in a quart of water should be enough to bring it up to par. Help, thoughts, input appreciated... I just want to make sure its not going to taste watered down or anything.

I believe the consensus is generally to not modify the beer, as it messes with the malt/hops balance. It will simply be lighter, more quaffable beer!

If it's at 1.045, it should still make a great beer.

I just brewed this yesterday as a no-chill. Pre-boil and first runnings were a deep, rich red-brown. I'm looking forward to seeing what the final product ends up like!

threebeers.jpg

-Joe

The "winter warmer" Pumbaa suggested (same recipe but adding 3lbs honey) looks like it's gonna turn out great. I brewed it back in April and I'll be bottling this weekend. Ended up being around 8.5% ABV and has the same taste plus the alcohol feel. I'll wait and take this to x-mas parties this winter. Definitely not something I want to keg...that would be bad news!

I just brewed this yesterday, with a few minor alterations.

1) An extra pound of Vienna due to what I thought was low efficiency, but ended up with an OG of 1.066 anyways.

2) Boiled 90 minutes to achieve 5.5 gallons of wort, which means the fuggles boiled for 90 and the goldings for 15.

3) Pitched two packets of Nottingham.

The color looked awesome and I can't wait to try it!

anyone got a quick Extract conversion or a PM with at most 3# of grain? my little baby cooler can't handle more than 3# of grain. would that still be considered a PM?

Just wanted to share a couple photos of the final product. Besides looking beautiful, it's delicious. There's a lingering sweetness that I'm really enjoying.

redinglass1.jpg

redinglass2.jpg

Excuse the lack of head: the carbonation is off because I opened the bottle last night.

-Joe

SO I finally got around to bottling this batch over the weekend while my dad was in town.

We threw some into a 20oz soda bottle fitted with a tire valve and pumped some carbonation into it.. WOW - it was fantastic. A good roasted flavor and beautiful color. I was really worried when the OG was so low (or the batch size was too high), but it really was a drinkable beer. Went down smooth with just enough sweetness at the end to make you want another one.

I like it so much I have 4 bottles on their way to 2 different comps this month. We'll see how it goes.

You guys are going to make my head swell . . .

anyone got a quick Extract conversion or a PM with at most 3# of grain? my little baby cooler can't handle more than 3# of grain. would that still be considered a PM?
I'll try to figure out an extract conversion when I get home from the fire house

**EDIT**
ok just got done playing with Promash . . .

for extract use 6lbs generic light DME levibond = 8. It will end up just a touch darker (Levibond of like 16.2)
Steep your grains like you normally would and every thing else remains the same. TBH This was one of the first recipes I came up with on my own and my first batch ever of this was an extract. I lost the recipie when my computer died and had to re-figure it out . . . thankfully it wasnt a complex recipe and I had kept notes in my scratch book

I'm drinking this now after kegging on sept 30th, very smooth beer. A change from my last few hoppy beers. I like it. Only compliant is I wish it would have carried more of the malty tones.

I just brewed this a few days ago, brewing went very smoothly because I measured out all the mash and sparge water ahead of time and cleaned and set up the equipment the night before.

A few alterations, I couldn't get whole Fuggles so I used .9 ounces of pellet Fuggles, also I added .25 pounds of cara-amber to give it a nicer red color. I calculated my boiloff rate and found I needed to boil for 55 minutes BEFORE starting the 60 minute boil with the hop additons. That and using a hop bag really saved my ass and my new MLT worked like a charm. I also tossed in a Whirlfloc tablet 20 minutes before the boil was done and the gravity reading was beautifully clear. I used Wyeast 1084 and the wort was cooled with my new CFC.

I hit the mark with just a bit shy of 5.5 gallons OG was 1.060 because the OG was a bit high and I used a slap pack I kept the primary in my closet at room temp for 24 hours to let the yeast grow quickly before transferring it to my garage.

Just brewed this on sunday, didn't quite hit the gravity reading but pretty close, boiled for a long time too(only my 3rd all grain batch). Using denny's favorite from wyeast to try it. Smelling great now, can't wait to try it!

I have never used this yeast before I brewed this batch, although everything I read about it says it's an amazing yeast.

I brewed this recipe 10 days ago, and the yeast hasn't finished up yet.. I still have a nice THICK head of krausen on it and the FG is still around 1018. I have kept the temps around 60-62F, could this be causing it to ferment so slowly?

I did a 2 liter starter over an entire week, since it started really slowly.

I am in no hurry, just curious about this slow ferment.

What beer are you making it with? I'll let you know how it turns out, using that yeast for the beer that this topic follows (St Faud's Irish Red).

Smelling it and it has a nice malty sweetness. Started bubbling on Tuesday after pitching on Sunday, didn't do a starter this time around(no time) nor saved any for krausening later(I keg, but do it for extra oxygen scrubbing, seems to help me, but could be the way I do things). Not slowing down but not going fast either.

My marathon St. Fuad's brewing session is finally over. Still making rookie all grain mistakes. Missed the mash temp by about 8 degrees and added too much additional strike water to get the temp up. I ended up boiling wort for two hours to get down to the final volume. Into the primary and the wait begins. I substitued Carared for the crystal malt. I am really looking forward to the first pint. Cheers.

My marathon St. Fuad's brewing session is finally over. Still making rookie all grain mistakes. Missed the mash temp by about 8 degrees and added too much additional strike water to get the temp up. I ended up boiling wort for two hours to get down to the final volume. Into the primary and the wait begins. I substitued Carared for the crystal malt. I am really looking forward to the first pint. Cheers.

Hey, I'm definitely making rookie all grain mistakes still. I missed by a few degrees down then sparge was a few degrees up, and I think I did a 2 or 3hr boil as well. Mine was a few weeks ago and is in secondary now @ 50F, and tasting really good(I'm surprised it needs to age longer, but I always get eager so going to wait as long as I can on this one). Here's hoping yours comes out great. I had to make some substitutions, and definitely didn't get the red color I wanted, more a reddish brown(probably closer to what it really is anyways, but still not exactly what I was wanting).

Are you using a program? I just started using one for this batch (and now for all other batches, I've been going nuts lately brewing) and it's helping me, using 5 gallon gott water coolers for my AG batch and a large boil pot and it's helping me get closer than I have been before.

Best!

Sounds great! Being a new brewer, I'm just starting to identify connections between grains and the tastes in the finish product. I have the grains ready for a batch that's close, but I substituted some 2-Row Pale due to a shortage of Vienna. Thanks for sharing.

Back