Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwoopty

Reaction score
I am going to brew this on Saturday per the instructions on the Can You Brew It podcast by Jamil and Tasty. Has anyone else used that recipe? If so what were your results? Here is what I gathered from the podcast with only a few minor tweaks because I couldnt find any Horizon hops so I used Magnum instead.

Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/2/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Mash: Single Infusion 156 F
Bitterness: 27.0 IBU
Est Color: 12.0 SRM
Brewer: Schwoopty
Boil Size: 7.78 gal Asst Brewer: Matt
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) / Kewler (10 Gal) - 60 min boil 5 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

Malt
11.82 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.95 %
1.58 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.02 %
1.27 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.05 %
1.03 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.53 %
0.07 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.44 %

Hops
0.96 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (60 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
0.16 oz Magnum [14.40 %] (60 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.56 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.08 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.16 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.32 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.32 oz Liberty [4.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU

Additions
1.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Yeast
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

If anyone else has brewed this let me know how yours has turned out!
:mug:

How do I get this deleted? I should have posted it in the recipe thread and have already made another post in there...

Thanks!

you should wait until you have brewed it, tasted it and confirmed that it was a good outcome before posting to the recipes. I am sure the mods will agree but let us know how it goes.

Yeah I just wanted to post it to show what I got from the podcast since according to them it was a cloned recipe. I figured based off of that it was ok to stick it on here.

It turned out pretty darn good! The color was spot on and the mouth feel was right as well. I overshot my mash temp a bit to start so it turned out a bit sweeter than what I would have liked. But to get a beer that tastes similar to the censored ale, this recipe is a good one to start with!

When I get the chance Im going to brew this again and see if I can nail the numbers this time.

thanks for the reply, im going to have to change to Partial mash but looking forward to brewing this.
anyone else out there try this recipe out>?

As the title says: around 1.075, or about 10% potential alcohol, which means it will probably finish out at around 8%. The actual censored is 5.9%.
This may be due to the fact that I did a very slow temperature increase when bringing it up to 156 deg. F. I usually do a step mash system (slowly bringing the temp up and letting it rest at specific points - it's in Byron Burch's book which is worth its weight in hops...Free plug, Byron!), and so I simply took about 4 hours to get from about 100 deg F to 156 while preparing the rest of the setup (I brew with an actual beer keg that I modified by cutting the top off and adding a pipe and a valve coming out of the bottom, so I have a good eight inches of space below my grain, which is in plenty of water to allow for this method. This step mash system can really stretch your grain, which is why I use it when I'm just whipping up a pale ale or something. 15 or 20 lbs of American pale malt can net me 10+ gallons of 5% pale ale).
Anyway, sorry for rambling :eek:

I would cut down on the amount of pale malt called for by a few pounds to get this right. At the moment, I have 15 gallons of nearly 10% wort cooling, and only 11.5 gallons of carboy! I guess I'll have to rack off that blueberry mead after all...just for a carboy...or buy another one, I guess.

Anyway. Censored is one of my favorite all-time local beers, and I just wanted to thank the poster VERY much for posting the recipe. I literally have been looking for this recipe for 5 or 6 years, being too lazy to try to recreate it when I have a few spare moments to brew.

I will try to come back and post the results and friend reviews when it's kegged and being drunk. I read on another thread that it's excellent in a cask. May try that, pending purchase of a cask ;)

Back