Stone Vertical Epic 8-8-8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All-Grain Version

Grain Bill for 75% efficiency
13.0 lb 2-row (US)
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
1.0 lb Turbinado Sugar

Mash Schedule
Mash 1.5qt/lb at 148*F for 120 minutes. Mash water should be approximately 100ppm Bicarbonates, and pre-boiled before cooling to strike temperature. Adjust your water accordingly.

Hop Schedule
1.0 oz Simcoe (60 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo (60 min)
1.0 oz Ahtanum (5 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop in secondary)
1.0 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop in secondary)

Notes:
Boil 90 minutes. Add sugar for last 10 minutes of boil.

Partial Mash Version

Grain Bill
3.0 lb 2-row (US)
1.0 lb Flaked Oats

Extracts / Adjuncts
5.7 lb Extra Light DME
1.0 lb Turbinado Sugar

Mash Schedule
Heat 6 quarts of water to 157*F and add grains. Maintain 148*F for 120 minutes. Add 3 quarts of boiling water for mashout, and hold for 10 minutes. Sparge grains with 175*F water, and top off kettle to usual boil volume before starting the boil. Reserve extract for late addition to ensure light color and adequate hop utilization (see notes).

Hop Schedule
1.0 oz Simcoe (60 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo (60 min)
1.5 oz Ahtanum (5 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop in secondary)
1.0 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop in secondary)

Notes:
Boil mash wort for 60 minutes. Add sugar and dry extract for last 15 minutes of boil.

Adapted from Stone's guidelines.

Haven't brewed it yet, won't until next year since I already did my tripel for this year. It's Stone's exact recipe so we already know it's good, though. :)

I realize it's Stone's exact recipe. I posted a thread with a link for the Vertical series under Clone your own Stone. I think this this database is really intended for recipes that the OP has actually brewed.
This thread really belongs in the ingredients forum, or perhaps a Commerical recipe forum. I'm not discounting that it may not be a good recipe, but the point of the database is to supply reliable recipes the OP has done. just my 2 cents.

Stone's recipe does not call for such aggressive hopping. They specify about .5 oz of both Simcoe and Amarillo at 60 and for the dry hop.

I understand why you bumped the amounts up though, it does not seem possible to achieve their stated 65 IBU with the hop amounts they are using.

I understand why you bumped the amounts up though, it does not seem possible to achieve their stated 65 IBU with the hop amounts they are using.

They may not have factored in the decreased hop utilization because of the smaller batch size exactly right.

They may not have factored in the decreased hop utilization because of the smaller batch size exactly right.

If you are doing a full boil of 7.5 to 8 gallons you should get really good hop utilization and still it does not seem possible without doubling the boiling hops. No big deal really, just find it interesting that their prescribed hopping schedule is so light compared to what it seems you would need. Maybe they have a super AA hop connection. :)

I am brewing this next week and basically worked up the same recipe yesterday. Although I am using 14 lbs. of 2-row and figuring 70% efficiency. I came up with and ordered the same amount of hops as Saccharomyces suggested. Going to harvest and wash the Wyeast 1388 currently in my primary for my Belgian Hose Water recipe.

I brewed this with wlp570 as well. Turned out great! They are right though....that yeast is a b**ch to clear. I saved 1 case of 22oz bottles to age. I will try one every year until 2012, then drink the remainder along with my other vertical epics.

I plan on brewing this next year at some point. Was my favorite out of the vertical epics I tried yesterday. Seems like this should be in the recipe section, and it's resurrected since this is what the homebrewtalk search pulled up.

Has anyone brewed this recipe? Going to try it this weekend. I have questions that others have regarding the hop schedule. When I use what Stone provides, the IBUs seem a little low. Was considering doubling everything to an ounce for a 5-gallon batch, which puts it more in line with their 65 IBU target, but wondering why they would say 0.5 oz for each of the additions (except the Ahtanum) and dry hop. Anyone produce this recipe with good results? What's the verdict?

No one? Really? Also, LHBS is out of Simcoe, but they have Amarillo and Ahtanum in stock. What do you think I should sub for Simcoe?

My batch of this is now getting dry hopped. It was very similar to what the op posted. I did end up using the clear candi sugar along with the wyeast 1388. I see the issues with getting this to clear. I probably should have racked to secondary to get it off the yeast for bottling, but too late now. I may see if I can cold crash it, but I don't have an extra fridge to do it in so it would be in a bucket with ice bottles if I do. Other than that, i have nigh hopes. I think it has went from 1.076-1.008 which is right on target. I will probably dry hop for a week and add a 1/4 oz dose of each hop extra 3 days before bottling.

Back