my capper won't work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter caps bottles for me at bottling time. She's asked me to brew a soda of some sort. Please, please, please!! Does anybody have a soda recipe? I know it's not beer, but it directly affects my brewing process. I'm sure I could ferment and bottle fruit with a good deal of sugar, but I think they call that wine. She's a monster when she drinks. The last thing I need is a 12 year old full of wine around the house. This may just be the most difficult thing I ever ask you guys for. She doesn't like rootbeer. Maybe an orange/ grape/strawberry soda, or a cola. Help me out , here! I'll gladly answer any cable t.v. questions in return. Please don't make me cap for myself !

Sudsmonkey :(

Dude....

Northern Brewer has soda extracts that don't need a ton of work to do. They have a bunch opf flavors but I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the Sprecher Cream Soda. That is top notch soda.

Do you have a kegging system? Cause if you bottle that stuff, do get it carbonated you ahve to use champagne yeast and it will make the soda have a little alcohol in it. By force carbing you won't get that, obviously.

lmao

my daughter just looks at me when it's time to bottle and says... that's a lotta hard work daddy! and she walks away....

I've made Root Beer before and it was NOT alcoholic and I didn't use Champagne yeast.

The only problem I had was the heat. It was summer time, natch. I had a bottle explode, then asecond one, and a third one, but it was due to overcarbonation.

Just like beer, you need to refridgerate the bottles to retard the process once your desired carbonation level is met. :D

Good luck.

Thanks Guys ! I checked out Northern Brewer's site. They've got what I need. Talked it over with my capper. She wants to try a cola first. The things we do for our children. Maybe this will lead her into brewing someday. I can only hope. I don't have kegging gear, so I'll take your advice and get seperate equipment instead of using my beer gear. BTW, Northern Brewer has some really great stuff! I now realize that I need one of their 27 gallon stainless steel fermenters. That makes a five gallon setup seem kinda puny by compairison. Gotta figure out what I'd do with 20 some gallons of beer first, and how to slip it by Mrs. Monkey.

Thanks,
Wesley

my daughter and the hooligans she runs around with just put in an order for root beer...

kids!!! :)

sudsmonkey said:
I now realize that I need one of their 27 gallon stainless steel fermenters. That makes a five gallon setup seem kinda puny by compairison. Gotta figure out what I'd do with 20 some gallons of beer first, and how to slip it by Mrs. Monkey.

Thanks,
Wesley

Your little one may have helpped you out with that. I mean you'll have to get a larger vessel with all the extra soda makin' you'll be doing. Do it for the kids!

Latest posts

Back