Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree! no vacations allowed.

What vacation? 16 hours on a chartered bus with 30 Scouts ranging from 11 to 15 years old, followed by 6 nights in Scout camp getting the Mile Swim kids up at 5:30 AM, herding Scouts between merit badge classes, and being the over 21 NRA certified instructor at the Rifle range, followed by a 16 hour trip home with a stop in Amarillo at the Golden Coral for supper.

I'm ready for a vacation now. :cross:

What vacation? 16 hours on a chartered bus with 30 Scouts ranging from 11 to 15 years old, followed by 6 nights in Scout camp getting the Mile Swim kids up at 5:30 AM, herding Scouts between merit badge classes, and being the over 21 NRA certified instructor at the Rifle range, followed by a 16 hour trip home with a stop in Amarillo at the Golden Coral for supper.

I'm ready for a vacation now. :cross:

:eek:

time for a bier?
:mug:

Lowe's was supposed to get my shingles in yesterday. No go. Owens/Corning is behind on deliveries due to an unexpected uptick in roofing in the area due to hail storms last month. Sheeeeeet. I need 24 ridge shingles and the mutha is done.

Looks like the AC unit is getting installed this week. Time to move things away from the wall.

Hey Ed, have you decided how you are going to vent your brew area yet? If you are not set on the above the head vent, or if you want some extra insurance, you should check out what Kladue came up with. He has some pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/WetTestProgressPhotoS/photo#5225298749171009138

I think I am going to do this and the overhead idea, when I get to that point on my brewery build. Just though I would show it to you cause I thought it would be cool! Good luck with the shingles! :mug:

Hey Ed, have you decided how you are going to vent your brew area yet? If you are not set on the above the head vent, or if you want some extra insurance, you should check out what Kladue came up with. He has some pics here:

Not yet, but while those pics are awesome, I want something that will vent the moisture from the HLT and BK as well as the Carbon Monoxide.

We go the AC installed and the ceiling over the porch installed along with a bunch of trim. Pics to follow after dinner and a few beers. Stay tuned!

Got some work done today. No shingles, but we installed the AC unit, installed the porch ceiling, and did some trim work.

BrewhausBuild90.jpg

BrewhausBuild91.jpg

BrewhausBuild92.jpg

BrewhausBuild93.jpg

BrewhausBuild96.jpg

BrewhausBuild97.jpg

BrewhausBuild94.jpg

BrewhausBuild98.jpg

Here you can see we drilled a hole and hung some romex down for power to the outdoor ceiling fan yet to be install.

Ed, is that you in the green shirt? I was loving how the pics had the face blocked(like your avatar) until the second to the last one. I thought you were doing it on purpose.;) anyway the hut is lookin great. I hope you get your shingles before you get rain.

Nope. That's my neighbor who loves my beer. He's been helping out quite a bit. My avatar is actually a German fellow, identity unknown. It's not me, but with my hat, I guess I could do one myself. :D

It's been hot in Austin. 38 days of 100 degrees or hotter. Picked up the outlet boxes, romex, and a breaker box today and began placing the outlets and running wires. It's hot outside, but the AC Unit makes for about a 15 degree differential without a ceiling or insulation. I hope to get all the wire run to outlet boxes and switch boxes this week so I can put up the ceiling and insulate. Still need to frame out the cold room.

It's hot alright. Got a lot of the wiring done. Gonna have 18 set of double outlets and 3 sets of Quad outlets. Not bad for a 12x20 shed eh? :D

Still gotta wire for lighting, audio, video, Satellite, and Internet. Early in the morning is the best time for this work.

How many circuits are you going to need. Thats more outlets than my entire house

I'm going to have about 6 circuits total, but plenty of outlets for convenience sake. I don't expect much to plug in, but you can't have too many outlets. :D

my buddies garage has you beat...he litterally has at least a single gang box every 6 foot, and double stacked 4 feet apart...it's nuts. We have the running joke "dude, get the long extension cord, I can't find a close enough outlet."

Is it overkill, yes, but it freaking is awesome!

Lowe's finally shipped my last bundle of shingles and the roof and outside are finished except for caulk, paint and some finishing trim over the porch.

A big thanks to Virtuous who loaned me his coil nailer. It made for very short work on sticking shingles!!!!!

I'm on my way to San Diego right now taking my daughter back to SDSU with her car and a load of stuff. Just made the drive from Austin to Tucson, AZ in 13 hours.

Time for a dip in the pool before heading to Thunder Canyon brewery for dinner. :D

Ed,

I haven't read through this entire thread, so pardon if its already been covered, but have you given any special consideration to the floor under the area you rig is going to be?

As you know, my brewery is in the garage, but I was thinking how if I had an elevated floor like you do, I would probably do something to that area to splash proof it and put a drain in the floor so I could just hose it down to clean up boilovers, etc...

Edwort,

Could I please request an update? Even if it's "nothing new" it would make me happy to see.

EdWort, You are an inspiration to almost all on this forum. And I've seen that you have been busy many weekends, and I don't mean to rub it in, but after 4.5 months do you have a timeline for completion? Tons of support either way. Looks great.

I just got back in town. I expect to get the inside wiring done this weekend including the breaker panel, then install the ceiling and start insulating.

Between time & money, I hope to have it done in the fall. I need to get my brew rig built as well. Lots of work, little time, but it's nice to have it to the point where I can tinker in it in the evenings.

Back to work yesterday in 100+ degree heat again. I tell you, it is hot. I can't wait for cooler weather to come in.

BrewHausBuild-100.jpg

I pulled all the stuff completely out of the brewhaus so I could put the items not needed away. It's been a great storage shed for the summer, but now it's time to get down to details.

We finished the trim work on the outside completely and began caulking all the trim. It's amazing how much work trim can be.

BrewHausBuild-101.jpg

BrewHausBuild-102.jpg

BrewHausBuild-103.jpg

I need to finish caulking and then when the weather cools off a bit, we'll paint the out side. In the meantime, I need to trench 110 ft. to bring 100 AMP service to the brewhaus.

BrewHausBuild-100.jpg

I pulled all the stuff completely out of the brewhaus so I could put the items not needed away. It's been a great storage shed for the summer, but now it's time to get down to details.

You know,

The good thing is since you've built one, the one you build next summer for a storage shed will be simple!

EdWort,

I love your project. The one question I had from reading the start of this thread I guessed the answer would be cost. But seeing how far, and how much, you have put into it, now I am really wondering as it would not have added that much in cost, and been much better in the end.

So, why not a cement floor? I would think an acid stained and sealed floor would be much easier to take care of especially for cleanup after any spills. You could have even gone so far as put a drain in the center and had the floor sloped to it so when you sprayed it down it would just drain out. I understand you might not have a sewer/septic system out there, but just having it drain out the back, or into a dry well, would have worked great.

/tg

I'm putting in a tile floor and will have a floor drain. The "Shed" does not have a permanent foundation so it complies with my deed restrictions.

I would have loved to pour a pad for it, but that would open it up to all sorts of restrictions, HOA committee reviews & approvals, etc.

This way, it qualifies as a "Shed" or Out building.

Sometimes I'm glad to be up north under the perpetual cloud - 100 degree heat is no place for picks and shovels!

Doubt you are entertaining the idea of digging that out by hand, but just in case - Ditch Witch. Well worth a half-day's rental.

I'm putting in a tile floor and will have a floor drain. The "Shed" does not have a permanent foundation so it complies with my deed restrictions.

I would have loved to pour a pad for it, but that would open it up to all sorts of restrictions, HOA committee reviews & approvals, etc.

This way, it qualifies as a "Shed" or Out building.

I thought one of the main points of living in the middle of Effin' nowhere was not having to deal with HOA's.:p

Back