Ball-lock tap stuck on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosa

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. I've got a bit of a problem where my liquid-out ball-lock tap is stuck on my keg. It won't even twist like the in tap does. I'm in a bit of a bind, has anyone run into this before?

Yup. It's usually that you mixed up the liquid and gas ball locks. A little bit of muscle usually does it for me.

Yep it could be either. If it's just dried on you just need to wet it and yank on it. If it's on the wrong side, get an open wrench the same size as the post (7/8s on lots of kegs) and use that to pry it off. It will come right off this way.

yeah i had to unsrew it and then stick them both in hot water for a while before it'd come loose. crazy.

thanks for the help guys!

The hot water trick worked for me, with the keg still put together. Just lifted the ring and poured hot water slowly in. Loosened it right up! Then I put it back on, and had to do it again...

I bought some second-hand kegs that came with replacement o-ring kits, but the o-rings for the posts gave me issues. They seemed to fit on fine, but then I started having issues with the QDs not wanting to come off. This is despite lubing with lubri-film. Either the o-rings were too large from the start, or they swelled up enough to cause the binding. I'm betting the seller just used some parts bin o-rings that "seemed to fit" and not ones specifically designed for keg posts.

I swapped out the "free" o-rings with replacements from a reliable homebrew supply store, and I haven't had the issue since.

Back