The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that.

I had been given some whole grain flour by Minnesota company, I think its was mentioned earlier in the thread. Soft wheat? I forgot. Nice whole grain for dough. By the way, there aren't many/any trigs in the dough unless you add fat... its the toppings. Saw on triple D a cheese less pizza that used kimchee instead of cheese. He loved it.

TD

The problem is, your body takes excess carbs and converts them to trigs as well. Whole grains slow that process down. Plus the fiber helps carry cholesterol through your digestive tract.

Did you ever try using a dutch oven? Look for the style known as a camp oven which will have legs on the pot, if you can find one with legs on the lid that is even better (Camp Chef brand "deluxe" camp ovens for example). Put your dough out on the inverted and pre-heated lid with just a couple of coals underneath it, build your toppings, then flip the pot over and put it on top of the lid and stack a whole whack of coals on top. You'll want the heat coming from above and heating the air inside just like in a normal oven, and you do it upside down so that it is easier to cut and serve the pizza.

We do have a dutch oven (I got her a whole set of cast iron cookware a couple years ago).. but I never thought to use the dutch oven upside down. That's friggin' brilliant.

I knew that the first attempt was going to turn out badly... poor girl stuck the frying pan literally IN the flames. Of course, at the time she decided to try that, I was off taking a shower so I couldn't stop her...

The subsequent experiments did turn out pretty good. And it kept her occupied for a couple of hours.. ;-)

I made a few pies tonight. Two "Boardwalk style"(cheese applied first, then sauce in a spiral pattern ala Macks in Wildwood) and a Detroit style.

pizza dog 013.jpg

pizza dog 014.jpg

pizza dog 015.jpg

The problem is, your body takes excess carbs and converts them to trigs as well. Whole grains slow that process down. Plus the fiber helps carry cholesterol through your digestive tract.

Yeah, and its even worse if you're having a homebrew with the meal.

Meds for trigs are pretty nasty.

hope the whole wheat will help you out

TD

Yeah, and its even worse if you're having a homebrew with the meal.

Meds for trigs are pretty nasty.

hope the whole wheat will help you out

TD

That and only one beer a day. She said to limit it to two drinks, but since I tend to drink heavier, higher ABV beers that probably translates to just one for me. I'd rather have one IIPA than two Bud Lights.

That and only one beer a day. She said to limit it to two drinks, but since I tend to drink heavier, higher ABV beers that probably translates to just one for me. I'd rather have one IIPA than two Bud Lights.

It better be a really big glass!

The plus is that so far everything is fine. Arteries clear, liver clockin' along fine. So I just need to get the numbers down before they start causing problems and then I get off scot free for all my sins of the past. :D Once numbers are down, I can have a more normal healthy diet instead of this borderline vegan thing I'm doing now.

Did my BBQ pie the other night.

My girl makes the dough, I make the cheese... but we really need to work on making it into a CIRCLE!! LoL

muag4g.jpg

VegasJ said:
Did my BBQ pie the other night.

My girl makes the dough, I make the cheese... but we really need to work on making it into a CIRCLE!! LoL

I think you need to start making the dough, too. ;)

The dough is fairly easy to make.

Yes but the devil is in the detail.
For anyone who has had dough issues, I highly recommend going to the pizza forum, where there is a nifty web tool.
www.pizzamaking.com go to dough tools and click the top choice Lehmann style pizza dough I think its called.

You supply the details, and it gives you measurements in bakers %. You'll need a digital scale with precision to 0.1 grams but I think you can also do with traditional measurements, also given I believe (non-weight based).

Its very easy to use, and results in highly reproducible results when using a digital scale. I love making dough now.

TD

TrickyDick said:
Yes but the devil is in the detail.
For anyone who has had dough issues, I highly recommend going to the pizza forum, where there is a nifty web tool.
www.pizzamaking.com go to dough tools and click the top choice Lehmann style pizza dough I think its called.

You supply the details, and it gives you measurements in bakers %. You'll need a digital scale with precision to 0.1 grams but I think you can also do with traditional measurements, also given I believe (non-weight based).

Its very easy to use, and results in highly reproducible results when using a digital scale. I love making dough now.

TD

OMG another forum... I'm never going to work again!

First try doing whole wheat worked nicely! I went with the same recipe I did before (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/home-made-pizza-thread-405838/index27.html#post5195689) but swapped out the 2 3/4 cup AP flour for 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 1/2 cup regular whole wheat flour.

1167944_10151857476809254_815559098_n.jpg

1097427_10151857476174254_135351309_n.jpg

It didn't come out as thick and fluffy as it usually does, but it's really tender and tastes awesome. I might play around with trying to get it to get it to thicken up a little, but don't think I'll change the basic recipe much if at all.

Brushed it with olive oil, threw on some lowfat mozz and topped it with roasted peppers and onions and put some mushrooms on my half. Very tasty!

Made 6 of 12 pies today.

first 6 came out good (pics tomorrow).

next six (diff style dough) horrible. I tried to ferment them in my old homebrew minifridge but the freezer (NO FROST FREE HERE) dripped water into the dough bowl as the ice melted. my bowl was covered with glad press and seal, but it was in a pool of water when I went to ball the dough at 24 hours. I tried it and was totally useless and I threw it all out. sad part was that the initial post mixer/ pre ferment dough felt great, and I was predicting greatness...
maybe next time.

great leoparding on the crust today with the NY style pies.

Those look awesome trickydick!

I find that resting my pies on a rack is key (then again I don't make 6 at a time;) I would run out of racks)

You guys (and gals) have been slacking lately! :D I made 4 pies last night on limited ingredients as the fridge is looking bare. The first one is a standard pepperoni mozzarella. The second is pepperoni, hamburger, a little habanero jack, and mozzarella. I started running out of cheese on the third one, its a base of provolone with pepperoni and mozzarella on top (you can see all the grease from the provolone). The last one was my masterpiece and will be explained in the next post

2013-09-05 17.56.59.jpg

2013-09-05 18.14.03.jpg

2013-09-05 18.30.10.jpg

This is the one! I run out of sauce at this point so resorted to attempted a taco pizza with what i had. I just got back from my moms in Texas and brought home enough of my great aunts salsa so i figured id use that, the best idea iv had! The third one was salsa, a little provolone and habanero jack, 2/3lb hamburger, more habanero jack and a little mozzarella. This turned out great! ill definitely be making it again :D

2013-09-05 18.42.21.jpg

2013-09-05 18.38.35.jpg

2013-09-05 18.46.48.jpg

And with a bit of sheet metal the same could be created....

I was intrigued at first until I noticed the pricing on those. We make kick a$$ pizza with the charcoal grill that we already have - no fancy gizmos needed. That and we don't have a webber... our grill is a bit, um, bigger. In my house everything is a bit, um, bigger...

WOW guys you are pretty expert in making pizza because the shape of pizza is looking good. Thanks for sharing but I am too lazy about cooking. Here is my pizza which I order from Pizza Hut.

aruba-088.jpg

Kelvin22 said:
WOW guys you are pretty expert in making pizza because the shape of pizza is looking good. Thanks for sharing but I am too lazy about cooking. Here is my pizza which I order from Pizza Hut.
You ordered a pepper onion pizza?

aruba-088.jpg

I must be spending too much time in this thread/in the kitchen, because that doesn't even look all that appealing to me :drunk:

Back