Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends on how much crap is in suspension which depends on a lot of factors - how long you let your beer settle out or if you cold crashed it before you bottled etc., etc....

Are you really expecting trub in the bottle? Shouldn't it be yeast you are looking for? The trub should have fallen out in primary, maybe secondary.

I thought the crap at the bottom of the bottle was called trub or could be used at any part in the brewing process. My bad, didn't mean to offend you Eric. I'll just go back to brewing Mr. Beer.

Im fairly new at it and have never used a secondary but in my expirence 10-14days is where i have noticed sediment in my bottles.

From Wikipedia:

In the process of brewing beer, trub (from the German for lees) is the layer of sediment that appears at the bottom of the fermenter after yeast has completed the bulk of the fermentation.[1] It is composed mainly of heavy fats, proteins and inactive yeast.[2]

Trub also refers to the material, along with hop debris, left in the boil kettle or hopback after the wort has been transferred and cooled. Brewers generally prefer that the bulk of the trub be left in the kettle rather than stay in contact with the fermenting wort. Although it contains yeast nutrients, its presence can impart off-flavors in the finished beer.

starke20 said:
I thought the crap at the bottom of the bottle was called trub or could be used at any part in the brewing process. My bad, didn't mean to offend you Eric. I'll just go back to brewing Mr. Beer.

I think it is called trub and it has yeast and other stuff that did not get fermented in it. If you did a good job of racking to secondary and a good job racking to bottling bucket, there should not be much left to settle out. You could try putting a hop bag over the bottling wand to catch whatever is left. When racking off, try to slowly tip the container to the side to get the last bits of liquid without breaking the siphon flow. Should be able to pull off the liquid without most of the trub. Just some thoughts, but I bet some of the more experienced guys could give some better ideas. Good luck man.

When the beer is chilled after a couple (at least) of weeks of higher temp carbonation, the sediment forms fairly quickly, if it hasn't already.

Trub is "cold break" "hot break" proteins, hops, and sediment. Beer residues, in essence. Yeast isn't trub- in washing yeast (preparing used yeast for reuse) you separate the trub from the yeast as best as you can.

Fishfoolz is right. Technically, all of your trub should be settled way before you get to the bottling bucket. I usually do a two week secondary so at least that's my case. I also always use a hop bag on my auto-siphon wand to help filter out anything. The stuff in the bottles after conditioning should be dead yeast from the bottle conditioning taking place and the last bit of yeast eating the bottling sugar added for carbonation.

I think the yeast in the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer is not all dead. Unless you pasteurize the beer. That's why it is possible to culture yeast from commercial brews. I saw that Wikipedia too. Still not sure trub is the right word for the stuff in the bottles but guess it could be. I'll ask a brewer next time I'm at the local micro brewery.

Edit...check out this site for definitions of trub and sediment. I think the stuff in bottles is sediment.

Sediment
The refuse of solid matter that settles and accumulates at the bottom of fermenters, conditioning vessels, and bottles of bottle-conditioned beer.

Trub
Wort particles resulting from the precipitation of proteins, hop oils, and tannins during the boiling and cooling stages of brewing.

http://www.craftbeer.com/beer-studies/beer-dictionary-glossary-of-terms

Still not offended. Just interested in the proper terminology.

Bad choice of words from me. Let me used spent instead. They did their job, are not going to do anything else and might as well be dead. Can you make a starter by introducing new sugars, yes. Are they going to do anything else in that single bottle of beer, no. Is that what your seeing in the bottom of a properly filtered and conditioned beer, yes.

I guess there is a lot of nomenclature that can be interchangeable and not interchangeable. I'll just wait another two weeks and see what happens. Take it easy all.

Back