FermCap-S Not Working Like I Thought....Still Having Blowouts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I had the mother of all blowouts a few batches ago and decided to try some FermCap-S.

I've now done 3 batches using the FermCap but it doesn't seem to be preventing blowouts at all. I'm an extract brewer so I normally do 3-3.5 Gallon boils for a 5 gallon batch. I put 10 drops in right before the boil when I add the extract.

It does help preventing boil overs. My understanding was that if you add it when you boil you wont have to add it when you rack. Am I off a wee bit? Do you have to add if for both?

Cause I see no difference in blowouts. :ban:

I add a few drops at boil and 10 drops "for 5gal" once in the primary.

So i add for both and have no problems.

Isn't 10 drops about 10 times too much to be using? There is a certain point where a vigorous enough fermentation with a small enough headspace will not prevent a blowout. Pieces of info missing here for a full understanding of your problem: fermentation vessel size? vessel type? If you are using a 5.5 gallon glass carboy, no wonder you are getting blowouts. If you are using a 6.5 gallon bucket, are you doing anything else to get wild fermentations?

The bottle says 2 drops per gallon of wort. I'm doing 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I bought the Fermcap because it is supposed to significantly reduce the size of the krausen. I have not seen this yet. I have been adding it at the beginning for the added benefit of reduced boil-over.

Instead, should it be added with 5 minutes left in the boil to prevent contamination? Or just dumped right into the primary, no sanitation needed?

I see. The stuff I have (Five Star silicone based stuff) says to minimize use, no more than 1-2 drops per 5 gallons. I only use mine for starters, and I have still had blowovers when using it, just because the krausen doesn't seem to be affected by it, just the clean wort. Your stuff seems to be different, though.

I put about 4 drops in during boil and first hops additions. That takes care of boil over foam.

Once all is done and yeast pitched i add the recomended 2 drops per gallon. This takes care of the high Krusan "sp".

You can even use a couple of drops in your starters to prevent the foam.

The drops you add during the boil do not count for the ones you add at first firmintation.

What i use: http://morebeer.com/view_product/15464/103780/Foam_Control_FermCapS_1_oz

It is a silicone based anti foam agent.

There are many threads as to the specifics and it is also referenced by the FDA as a food/brewery based product

I use it in the boil and making starters and it does exactly what it's supposed to

As for fermentation it's sketchy if not added again but I use a blow off tube:)

In my experience, I find it helps for both.

When I was doing 3.5 gallon partial boils, I was adding 5 drops to the boil and 5 to the fermenter. I would get krausen in the neck of the carboy, but that was about it. I also never use a airlock, I always use a blowoff tube. When I switched to buckets (6.5 gallon) over better bottles, I noticed that the krausen would rise less and little to no bubbling in the blow off resevoir. All batches have fermented completely too.

Since I switched to all grain, I have been only adding it to the boil (10 drops.) I get the same results as adding half to the kettle and half to the fermenter.

Hope this helps.

Back