Pumpkin puree and pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdwolfe273

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin beer last night. Put about 3.5 pounds of pumpkin purée in the mash at 154 for 90 minutes. Coming out of the mash tun the wort was fairly clear. After boiling and then cooling with a wort chiller and ice bath I got it down to about 67 degrees. At that point it was fairly cloudy in some parts. I assumed it was just cold break and spices etc... But now I am wondering if I should have added pectic enzyme even though I only mashed the pumpkin, not boiled. Fermentation has definitely started already. Any thoughts or experience with not adding pectic enzyme when mashing pumpkin? If I should have added it, would it be too late now?

Thanks!

I did the same as you. I baked my pumpkin at 350 for 35 minutes then I put it in the mash. I think pumpkin beers should have some cloud to them personally. I plan to use gelatin to help clear it up at keg time.

I mashed my pumpkin without adding enzymes and it came out just fine. I added gelatin for the hell of it, too, and it's clear. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Back