Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Maytag 14.8, a 20lb co2 tank w/ handle and normally oriented regulator will also fit without a collar.

I called to get a price adjustment and got one to the $313 price. The CSR said that there is a 30-day policy and I was right under (ordered Oct. 2nd). Bought mine for $350 or so, so I'm getting $37 back.

Pretty sure that you could fit 6, 5 gallon glass carboys. The 6, and 6.5 are too wide to fit next to each other, and have to be staggered. But the 5's fit nicely side by side.

In this picture, I have (Maytag 14.8):
3 - 5 Gallon Glass Carboys
1 - 6 Gallon Glass Carboy
1 - 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy
1 - Corny

Maytag_14_8_Carboys.jpg

Got the Maytag today. Pretty happy about it. I have 6 kegs in it, my small co2 tank, and a 3 gallon better bottle of Mexican IPL. I'm pretty psyched about it - having a party on saturday and now have 4 taps available (soon to be 6). Thanks again for the help....

FWIW, I have it on level 4 for chilling still, along with my JC Temp controller - not sure if I should turn it up or not yet, but things seem pretty cool.

Excellent! If you're using a temp controller then there's no need to adjust the knob. When you have some time after the party you can alter the thermostat and then repurpose the controller for a ferm chamber. Check out my original post for a link to the details. Enjoy!

I got mine the other day too. I just stained the collar for mine about an hour ago. I have the shank holes drilled and the insulation foam in, just need a couple more parts and will install the collar tomorrow. My kegs will be in tomorrow, but just a note, a 10lb CO2 cylinder with a handle (from beverage factory) will be too tall to sit on the hump without a collar.

Just purchased a Frigidaire 12.9 cu. ft., model LFCH13M2MW from Lowe's. $399.00, but on sale until 11/28 for $299.00. Here is a pic of room for 6 pin lock kegs on the floor. Could probably get 7 or eight ball locks, but I don't have any of those to test. Still has room on the hump for 2 more with collar.

aIMG_2740.jpg

BigJim_inFLA said:
Just purchased a Frigidaire 12.9 cu. ft., model LFCH13M2MW from Lowe's. $399.00, but on sale until 11/28 for $299.00. Here is a pic of room for 6 pin lock kegs on the floor. Could probably get 7 or eight ball locks, but I don't have any of those to test. Still has room on the hump for 2 more with collar.

Thx for the heads up! Our local stores don't have the markdown showing so I didn't catch it when I was there last night. Just went to pick one up but the location closest to my work is sold out. The store by my house has one, gonna go by on the way home.. Wish I could have just picked one up since I'm still under the conundrum as to spend $48 more for 2cf more, even though the 12.9 will work great. Actually what would. E perfect is one that will fit 6 on the floor but is only as deep as the 9cf for cheap enough that I can pick up one of the cheaper 7cf from home depot (168 on special now) for fermenting/cold conditioning.

Btw, here's a pic of my ball lock cutouts in the above freezer.

image-578994631.jpg

Those cutout look a little cramped but I'm pretty sure 8 ball locks will fit. I'll find out tonight and post up with my actual kegs in there.

image-1764247912.jpg

Tight fit indeed! With some of the mismatched ball locks 8 may or may not fit but I plan on a collar soon so I'll be good as 2 will easily fit on the hump.

It has started ,the guy from Lowe's just called from his truck
and will be here in 15 min's with my new 5.0 chest freezer
it's 8:29pm and I am happy :)

happy was short lived had to refuse it it was opened not
in a box

I picked this one up off Craigslist last night. Going to start my collar build ASAP, and hopfully have it all finished for New Years Eve.

The model no. is 253.19821992

I traced out the bottom of 2 of my ball lock kegs. They both seem to be about 8.5 inches. Looks like I'll have room for 13 in here. :rockin:

141tq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White-FCM7SUWW at The Home Depot

I think I have talked SWMBO into getting this for me for an early Christmas gift. I just checked it out at the local store and it looks like the offer is good until 11/28. Free shipping.

If anyone knows of a HomeDepot 10% off coupon code, please let me know.

I tried to get 10% off but was told they wouldn't give the discount because this was part of their "Black Friday" deals. The cashier at the front register tried to enter the discount, but the computer wouldn't allow her and advised that the item was not allowed any discounts. Still a great deal!

I think I have talked SWMBO into getting this for me for an early Christmas gift. I just checked it out at the local store and it looks like the offer is good until 11/28. Free shipping.

You can only fit 4 on the floor with that freezer, right? ANd a super tight fit? Wish the Maytag 14.8 cu.ft. was still on sale for $299!!

Yes, the GE holds 4 ball locks on the floor and it is a tight fit. I'm also trying the thermostat mod so I don't have to buy an external controller but its not looking so good for that (screw is all the way in but temp is hovering around 32F).

Still, I'm happy with this keezer!!

Yes, the GE holds 4 ball locks on the floor and it is a tight fit. I'm also trying the thermostat mod so I don't have to buy an external controller but its not looking so good for that (screw is all the way in but temp is hovering around 32F).

I ordered mine Monday, and went ahead and ordered a CHI analog temp controller. I'm going to use it as a lager fridge, general fridge (lot of space on the hump) and back up to my three tap kegerator.

:ban:

I'll definitely be putting a collar on it. Haven't decided how big yet. I figure I can get 2 kegs in it and a CO2 tank and sit the carboy on the hump and put something under the overhang to balance the carboy out to keep it from tilting/falling over

I'll definitely be putting a collar on it. Haven't decided how big yet. I figure I can get 2 kegs in it and a CO2 tank and sit the carboy on the hump and put something under the overhang to balance the carboy out to keep it from tilting/falling over

That works, I built a stand, a box 5"x8"x8.5" tall to hold up a glass carboy on the collar and hold two kegs. I bought an additional keezer and don't need it now. Worked good.

20cu ft CF on Craig'sL for $100 practically new......I have room, no reason not to eh?

(I only have 3 kegs right now, and will not add more for a year or 2)

I guess it is basically a fridge in the extra space.

Just bought the Home Depot GE 7.0 model. Can't wait to get started on this. Is kegconnection.com generally the best site to buy everything from?

There are a number of sites that sell that stuff. I bought my stuff from kegglebrewing and kegconnection, and a few things from my LHBS. I have been happy with the keg quality, even the lower b-grade kegs were good, from both companies. KC has a lot of kits, but they also sell separate things. Make sure you get all the parts, including the attachment kits for your shanks to beer hoses.

To all that recently bought the HD GE 7.0cu ft. Walmart had this on sale for $159 for their Black Friday sale and Home Depot's website shows they have priced matched it. So, it's available for $159 including free shipping. If you've ordered it at a higher price you might be able to get HD to give you a price adjustment.

Ok, now for my question. I've ordered one as I'm tired of walking down to the basement with my beer glass in hand and want to build a keezer in the kitchen using this model. What I could use is some guidance as to:

1. Building a collar - plans/idea's. My main purpose for the collar would simply be to use for faucet(s).

2. I have a single stage analog controller I use for fermentation control. I'm likely to use it for this keezer, but would then like to get myself a controller that allows both cooling and heating as my basement gets cold (right now it is about 60 degrees) so I need a dual stage model. Recommendations please.

Thanks.

I would suggest some beer line, gas lines, and some clamps or something to attach them. Also, I just tweaked my thermostat and my keezer can be adjusted from about 32 to 42 degrees now.

To all that recently bought the HD GE 7.0cu ft. Walmart had this on sale for $159 for their Black Friday sale and Home Depot's website shows they have priced matched it. So, it's available for $159 including free shipping. If you've ordered it at a higher price you might be able to get HD to give you a price adjustment.

Ok, now for my question. I've ordered one as I'm tired of walking down to the basement with my beer glass in hand and want to build a keezer in the kitchen using this model. What I could use is some guidance as to:

1. Building a collar - plans/idea's. My main purpose for the collar would simply be to use for faucet(s).

2. I have a single stage analog controller I use for fermentation control. I'm likely to use it for this keezer, but would then like to get myself a controller that allows both cooling and heating as my basement gets cold (right now it is about 60 degrees) so I need a dual stage model. Recommendations please.

Thanks.

1. Collar can be made any number of ways. IMO cheapest and easiest is some white wood from HD or Lowes, some foam board insulation, 2 tubes of liquid nails, and a tube of silicone caulk. Unhinge the freezer top and measure out the top of the freezer. Cut the wood and make the box. Attach the foam board to the wood and then glue the entire thing to the freezer with liquid nails. Use silicone to seal the seams. After 24 hours, connect the hinges to the collar and put on lid like normal. Drill holes for shanks, install, and that's it. You can add a hole if you need a temp probe or other things to go it.

2. Here is the thread for the cheapest dual-thermometer. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Purchased off ebay for 19.99 or 22.99, make sure you buy the 110V model! Then use this as your heater, works great and costs 6 bucks. Wort-O-Matic: Fermentation Can Heater

I suppose I'll need:

- 3 Perlick faucets
- 3 ball lock kegs
- temperature regulator
- c02 tank

What else? I'm obviously prepared

Start at the CO2 tank and work towards your glass!

CO2 tank, regulator, CO2 hose from regulator to manifold (optional). CO2 hose to each keg. MFL disconnects or some connection system for CO2 line to keg. MFL beverage line connection, beverage line from keg to shank. Connection between beer line and shank (nut, washer, and nipple). Shank, faucet, drip tray.

Most gas lines are 5/16, beverage lines are 1/4. A good place to look at an entire system in pictures is kegconnection, you can see a whole kit and make sure you've got all the parts.

Use this calculator to figure out how much beer line you need. Remember the measurement is from the middle point of the inside of your keg to the height of the faucet, not the top of the keg to the faucet.

Getting A Good Pour – Kegged Beer CO2 Line Length and Pressure | Brewer's Friend

Thanks for the tips! Since it will be a while until it gets delivered, I might try to get these done before it arrives. (I can always to hd to mashed the lid dimensions.)

Does anyone know if this deal is only online or can you pick it up in store? I ask because it says internet special on the web site....so my tiny brain tells me its only good online. although someone mentioned a cashier tryin to enter a coupon code for this item. If you know please fill me in as I think my brain is starting to smoke with not being able to figure this out.

I bought it at my local Home Depot yesterday. They had it for $169. I told them it was cheaper on their own website. They confirmed it and price matched without question. I threw it in the back of my truck and now it's in the garage

Back