Splashing from mash tun into boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For about 1/2 of the wort transfer from the mash tun to the boil kettle it was splashing pretty badly. Is this going to screw up the beer? I now have it running down the side of the brew pot. Is that an OK method? Thanks.

I tend to think that hot side aeration is a myth. Some people think that if you splash while the wort is hot, then you'll get off flavors. I've splashed plenty in the past, and never noticed anything bad from doing so. I try to keep it down though, just in case.

HSA/splashing issues are another myth for the homebrewer, that new brewer's tend to worry about (like airlock bubbling = fermentation),that don't really hold much weight in truth, you really don't need to worry about it.

Here's a detailed post explaining why it's not an issue, including a video of a commercial brewery doing the exact same thing... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stirring-enough-aeration-202286/#post2358507

There's also a really good discussion of it in the article on Australian No Chill brewing in the March/April 2009 issue of BYO magazine where there is an excellent citation proving that boil and fermentation further eliminates the risk of hot side aeration. I'm waiting form them to post the article so I don't have to retype the citation. But as soon as I can it will go with the other information I have posted.

I also have never exp. any negative effects from splashing. I did buy a piece of that super high temp hose that the brew shops sell to eliminate the splashing just in case. It can't hurt and only cost a few bucks.

HSA/splashing issues are another myth for the homebrewer, that new brewer's tend to worry about (like airlock bubbling = fermentation),that don't really hold much weight in truth, you really don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the help and reply. I really do appreciate what you offer here... although I still disagree about the airlock :)

Cold liquids can hold more dissolved gases (oxygen) than hot. Even if you did manage to get some more O2 dissolved in your hot wort splashing it around, the boil process would cause all of it to come out of solution anyway. I may be new to brewing but that is just chemistry, which I do have experience with.

I also have never exp. any negative effects from splashing. I did buy a piece of that super high temp hose that the brew shops sell to eliminate the splashing just in case. It can't hurt and only cost a few bucks.

This is my thought exactly. It may or may not be an issue, but silicone tubing is cheap, so why take the risk?

I know Brew Strong did a great interview with Charles Bamforth about oxidation. He said while you aren't going to see any effects (esp in homebrew) from splashing wort etc, its always good to follow best practices like avoiding splashing when possible, not whipping air into the mash and so forth. Its much more important to keep splashing and aeration to a minimum after fermentation has begun and has finished though.

I think the point is here there isn't any risk to start with....

I would tend to agree with Charles Bamforth, one of the leading brewing scientist in the world, as opposed to the people on this forum, but that's just me.

I just don't understand why someone would take the risk when the solution to the problem is so simple and cheap.

I would tend to agree with Charles Bamforth, one of the leading brewing scientist in the world, as opposed to the people on this forum, but that's just me.

I just don't understand why someone would take the risk when the solution to the problem is so simple and cheap.

I always love the discount the people on these forums argument.../snark....

Other "experts" like John Palmer, have come up wrong on stuff in the last few years, some of it based on findings of "just a bunch of people on this forum" and starting to change their opinions about things. Just because someone is giving information on the largest most active brewing site in the world, doesn't mean they are posers, sometimes in enviorments like these, with literally 40,000 active brewers sharing info and their own data, and any changes to the "common widsom" can leave outdated science in the mud, so I wouldn't be so quick to discount folks on here for all you know one of them could be a scientist, or an author or an expert that could smoke bamforth in a heart beat, like Kai Troster for instance, have you read his work, he's forgotten more about German brewing techniques than most published authors have ever learned...and he just happens to be a poster on a website....:rolleyes:

I'm not discounting the people on this forum at all. There are many of you that are much more knowlegable than myself. I've learned 99% of what I know about brewing from John Palmer and this forum.

BUT, if an expert like Charles Bamforth believes that hot-side aeration could be an issue, then I'm willing to spend $5 on some silicone tubing to try my best to prevent it. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not discounting the people on this forum at all. There are many of you that are much more knowlegable than myself. I've learned 99% of what I know about brewing from John Palmer and this forum.

BUT, if an expert like Charles Bamforth believes that hot-side aeration could be an issue, then I'm willing to spend $5 on some silicone tubing to try my best to prevent it. That's all I'm saying.

But it sounds like in something more recent he discounts it in homebrew situations. That's the funny thing about info, and knowlege, it changes. Just because he published something in a book orn paper x number of years ago, doesn't mean even he hasn't learned something new, and said something different more recently....Look at charlie Papazian, he just started using rice hulls a couple years ago....But if you hadn't heard that info on a podcast you wouldn't know.

I haven't listened to the podcast myself (although I plan to tonight) but from what Edcculus posted, it sounded like he still recommended the practice of avoiding splashing of hot wort. For me, that's enough to warrant spending a few bucks on some tubing.

Its been a while since I listened to it, so take that with a grain of salt. What seems to have stuck with me is that homebrewing, being a small very localized operation, its not a huge problem. Commercial brewers have to worry about any and all places oxidation can happen, because once its bottled and leaves their docks, they have no more control over the beer. It could sit in a distributor's hot warehouse for 3 months, put on trucks, bumped, dropped, heated, cooled you name it. Since homebrewers go straight from teh fermenter into bottles or kegs, and typically chill after a few weeks you never have a problem.

I personally try to follow best practices and avoid it (for now). I don't see much wrong in that. If wort happens to splash, no big deal though.

Back