had a martini for the first time last night (extra dirty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
damn it, this is why i dont drink liquor, tasted awful and i had a hangover all day after only 5 drinks last night.

why is salty gin such a famous/popular drink

The hangover was because God hates those that ruin good gin with sh*tty Olives.

as far as famous and popular... I blame it on the bossa nova

Last edited by a moderator:
i love olives, but drinking brine and liquor put me over the edge... was having such a pleasant evening with hoegaarden and bass before that :(

Dirty Martini's are nasty.
I mean.. if you are gonna drink.. DRINK.
Gin... in a dirty glass with a human hair. :tank:

I found out the other day that green olives run through me like it's their job.

I crossed out Martinis from my list after that night

I usually make my own and use 6 oz in a shaker for 2 drinks. I don't actually use any vermouth, just wave the open bottle over the glass like a wand....that makes it dry enough :)

I usually make my own and use 6 oz in a shaker for 2 drinks. I don't actually use any vermouth, just wave the open bottle over the glass like a wand....that makes it dry enough :)

that's the way to roll. :)

for those of y'all who also hate olives in martinis (like me), ever tried a Gibson? Gin martini with a cocktail onion. Sharpens things up a bit. Good sub for an olive if you don't just want a shot of booze in a martini glass.

I'll do a Gibson now and then.
My typical Martini is gin and holding the glass up about shoulder height and pointing to the Vermouth bottle on the rack saying "That's close enough Mister."

I once bartended for this guy that wanted three onions and a lime for his martini.
He was a very interesting character after 20 minutes at the bar :tank:

Do not hate the martini for the olive. It is perfectly acceptable to order/make them with a lemon twist instead. That's what I prefer. I find it a much better pairing.

When I do go with olives, then I go all out and make it dirty.

Bombay sapphire, extra dry, straight up with a twist.

I used to say about martinis that one was not enough, two was too many, and three was just right. Five would certainly ruin me the next day! Nowadays, I'll occasionally have one as an aperitif.

Bombay sapphire, extra dry, straight up with a twist.

Replace "Bombay Sapphire" with "Beefeater," and you've got the best cocktail on the planet, IMO.

Although once I started homebrewing, I've found myself almost always ordering beer instead. Hmmm ... maybe I need to reintroduce excessive gin consumption into my life.

Replace "Bombay Sapphire" with "Beefeater," and you've got the best cocktail on the planet, IMO.

Although once I started homebrewing, I've found myself almost always ordering beer instead. Hmmm ... maybe I need to reintroduce excessive gin consumption into my life.

Gotta go with Bombay Sapphire myself. Nothing better, IMO. Since I'm more of a gin and tonic guy, I usually wave the tonic over the glass and call it good! Unfortunately, SWMBO says I get mean when I drink too much gin. Hmmmm

damn it, this is why i dont drink liquor, tasted awful and i had a hangover all day after only 5 drinks last night.

why is salty gin such a famous/popular drink

I didn't know it was famous or popular. When I drink gin, I drink it as a gin & tonic, or as gin & juice. Regards, GF.

Back