adding water late in fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky-Ale

Reaction score
Today i transferred my brew from the primary to secondary. Unfortunately i noticed i am almost an entire gallon short. Is it alright to introduce more water to the wort this late in fermentation? Should i just finish it off and bottle it a gallon short. If it makes a difference it is a lager consisting of 7 lbs light malt, flavored with saaz hops and tea.

Why are you a gallon short? If it's because you didn't add enough water to begin with and the beer is too heavy and/or "thick", you could add some water. If the beer tastes good as is, I'd leave it alone. Very rarely have I ever sampled a beer and thought, "This should be watered down!".

What was your OG and FG? If they are in line, I'd leave it.

What was your OG and FG? If they are in line, I'd leave it.

Two very good questions in one by Yooper.

If you're OG is right where you want it or it needs to be, don't add any water, because no one likes watered down beer (that's why we started homebrewing and drinking craft beer right?).

I would assume, and don't have anything scientific to back it up, but it may make the yeast go dormant before they finish fermentation, as they will recognize that there isn't as much "food" available for them in the diluted beer.

If your FG is a high, then it would be ok to add water at bottling/kegging time, as the water addition will help to lower the FG. But I would add it to the bottling bucket or keg, as adding it directly to the fermenter could stir up some trub before siphoning it off.

Back