Belgian Abbey Single BJCP category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digr

Reaction score
I recently started a Belgian Blonde that had a OG: 1.053 and finished with FG: 1.007.

So about 6.0% ABV. As far as I can tell in taste and style, this is really an Abbey Single or Patersbier / Enkel.

It's light, crisp, and a bit more hoppy (citrus) than most Belgians but less body than a Blond. A lighter version of say De Ranke XX Bitter. Problem is I can't figure out which BJCP category to put it in for an upcoming competition.
I have had a few folks that have tasted it really like it, so I think it is worth entering in a competition.

Problem is what BJCP category to place it in?

It's not really a 18A Belgian Blond.
It's also not really a 16B Belgian Pale ale (as discussed in above posts).
And it does not seem "special" enough to put in 16E Belgian Specialty Ales.

Anybody had any luck or ideas with this type of beer in competition?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

:confused:

I recently started a Belgian Blonde that had a OG: 1.053 and finished with FG: 1.007.

So about 6.0% ABV. As far as I can tell in taste and style, this is really an Abbey Single or Patersbier / Enkel.

It's light, crisp, and a bit more hoppy (citrus) than most Belgians but less body than a Blond. A lighter version of say De Ranke XX Bitter. Problem is I can't figure out which BJCP category to put it in for an upcoming competition.
I have had a few folks that have tasted it really like it, so I think it is worth entering in a competition.

Problem is what BJCP category to place it in?

It's not really a 18A Belgian Blond.
It's also not really a 16B Belgian Pale ale (as discussed in above posts).
And it does not seem "special" enough to put in 16E Belgian Specialty Ales.

Anybody had any luck or ideas with this type of beer in competition?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

:confused:

Northern Brewer has it listed as belgian specialty. The style doesn't require that you use brett/oak/weird adjunct etc, but I'd guess that judges do probably look for it.

I guess you could claim it as a pilsener fermented with authentic belgian yeast, but who are we kidding. Is it "sweet" enough to go belgian blonde?

If you are really happy with the flavor, I'd just enter it as Belgian specialty, call it an extra. Its probably the best opportunity to get feedback thats not tainted with "not-to-style" comments.

I'm a big fan of patersbier/extra, its in my regular rotation of go-to beers. Its getting popular too, I wonder if they'll expand the "belgian and french ales" to include it in the future?

16E (assuming it is qualitatively like a trappist single, not just originally intended to be like one). No it probably won't do well there as that category is full of very strongly flavored beers.

I'd like to see 16,17 and 18 (and 14) each have their own "other" subcategory so you don't have to enter your single next to someone else's three philosopher's clone and someone else's cuvee de tomme clone, but it is what it is.

So, to update this old thread.
I finally had a chance to taste test theis Single Blond against WitKap Pater.
Amazingly similar.

Slightly different tones on the yeast character, as the Pater had a more "Abbey" flavor, a but sweeter, maybe a bit more malt character.

Mine was a tad dryer, and much more hop character. Mine also had much more aromatic hop taste and smells, which I new. Mine also had a tad bit more body.

Very similar and both very drinkable. My wife had trouble telling them apart.

IMHO, I liked mine better.

I should get the score sheets back this week to see what the judges said.
And it is in a second competition in two weeks also.

I doubt it will do well as folks above have commented on its in a category of strongly flavored beers. OH well. I like it, at that is all that really matters.

I plan to make more of it with minor variations and put in on keg.....

Thanks all for the feedback.

digr, I would love to know how you made it if it's very similar to witkap pater. I just had one, and I feel like I have to make it for the farm this summer. It would be perfect for everyone after field work.

Skyforger,

The feedback I got was that I was a bit too heavy on the hops for the style and needed a bit more "trappists" character. So I think I could modify the recipe and tone down the hops and choose different yeast to better hit the mark of a single... I'm happy to post the recipe if you want it. I have heard good things about the Northen Brewer enkel ...
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ited/twisted-enkel-extract-product-group.html
Never tried it. IMHO I'd use a different yeast... (WLP500,WLP530).

If you're still fiddling with the recipe, I wouldn't put it in the recipe section. But I'm off-and-on trying to formulate a good singel recipe, preferably one that works out like witkap pater, so I'd be very curious to know your process and ingredients. There isn't much about singels out there, so I'm gathering whatever information I can, and a successful beer made by a fellow homebrewer in the style would be great info.

Back