Oddball Weather Anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
OK so starting this morning is Lubbock area we had ice which resulted in a 2hr delay:ban:
Then it starts to sleet/rain

Then it starts to pour rain for a couple of hours.

Now we have winds >40miles/hr with gusts over 60mph!!!

Which starts a dust storm!

What's next, a tornado?!?!

I have been stuck indoors all day:(

The whole country is at risk of wierd weather from some mega storm.

Supposed to have 50MPH winds tomorrow at 5 am.

It's all weird weather. I'm in Cleveland and by now we've usually had 20 snow storms and freezing weather.

This year, I just finished harvesting my kohlrobi and my carrots from the garden....and it's December 8th. Longest. Growing. Season. (in cleveland) Ever.

It's all weird weather. I'm in Cleveland and by now we've usually had 20 snow storms and freezing weather.

This year, I just finished harvesting my kohlrobi and my carrots from the garden....and it's December 8th. Longest. Growing. Season. (in cleveland) Ever.

I have been watching the nationals maps this past week. The Panhandle region of Texas has been consistently colder than many of the NE states (up to Canada). Being colder then Chicago is just weird.

Oddball Climate Change. :p

Hmmm kohlrobi...... I can eat that raw.

The National Weather Service is currently predicting this:

HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE...IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 10 YEARS SINCE SNOWS
AND WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE AND EXPANSE HAVE BEEN SEEN ACROSS THE
AREA. STORM STRENGTH IS ANOTHER MATTER. IT HAS PROBABLY BEEN
20 TO 30 YEARS SINCE THE IMPACTS OF A WINTER STORM OF THIS
STRENGTH HAVE BEEN SEEN IN THE AREA.

So yeah, I would say weird weather.

Hmmm kohlrobi...... I can eat that raw.

I totally do too and the leaves taste great fried up with some bacon fat! It took all season to get them to be about 15 inches long...boy were they sweet! (I've got a picture somewhere at home I can upload if you want).

Here's the carrot harvest from today, final of the season.
carrotharvest1.jpg

carrotharvest2.jpg

I totally do too and the leaves taste great fried up with some bacon fat! It took all season to get them to be about 15 inches long...boy were they sweet! (I've got a picture somewhere at home I can upload if you want).

Here's the carrot harvest from today, final of the season.
carrotharvest1.jpg

carrotharvest2.jpg

Nom nom...

I am so putting in a garden next year:rockin:

Now we need to start a garden thread, for veggies and gnomes. :D

I am so glad that my area is not the only weird weather.

Kind of weird weather here in Central Illinois.

We've had a really wet year thus far, and now its gonna start to get interesting. This morning the weather was supposed to bring us 5-6 inches of snow by sometime tomorrow, but it looks like that has changed some. Its been steadily raining all afternoon, but I'm half expecting to wake up to a few inches of snow on the ground. I'm totally not ready to shovel a driveway.

I'm more than content to do nothing but get comfy in my lazy boy drink a few pints and read a book the rest of the evening. I'm not going outside for a damn thing!

Please... I've heard nothing but bitching, whining, and moaning from people about how "cold" it is. It's bad enough that the National Weather Service issues a Severe Weather Alert for a "storm" that drops less than an inch of rain, but these people complaining about it being "freezing" when it's 50 degrees outside need a reality check!

Please... I've heard nothing but bitching, whining, and moaning from people about how "cold" it is. It's bad enough that the National Weather Service issues a Severe Weather Alert for a "storm" that drops less than an inch of rain, but these people complaining about it being "freezing" when it's 50 degrees outside need a reality check!

I know what you mean. I lived in Los Angeles for over 5 years. People freaked out and crashed their cars when a little bit of rain drizzled down.

I know what you mean. I lived in Los Angeles for over 5 years. People freaked out and crashed their cars when a little bit of rain drizzled down.

Lol, same thing I noticed when I was living in Tucson.

The one night it snowed there in my three years as a resident, people were out at 2 a.m. to see it.

My father and I thanked God it didnt happen during rush-hour :D

Weather is weird all over the nation; but you guys need to check out Hawaii right now. They have the biggest waves in the past 5 years (expected to reach 50 feet). Now if only that would hit over here... I mean the house might be gone; but that's what home owners and flood insurance are for, right?

Check out this link for some highlights http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/b...ghlight-a-superb-session-at-waimea-bay_39274/

I now reside in AZ from Chicago, I was enjoying yesterdays weather, Noahs Ark style rain and my weather station said I hit 75mph gusts, at least it wasnt 20 below zero wind! these weathermen out here are pussies, they were wetting their pants over a little wind and rain!

Weather is weird all over the nation; but you guys need to check out Hawaii right now. They have the biggest waves in the past 5 years (expected to reach 50 feet). Now if only that would hit over here... I mean the house might be gone; but that's what home owners and flood insurance are for, right?

Check out this link for some highlights http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/b...ghlight-a-superb-session-at-waimea-bay_39274/

Go figure, the guy with the signature of "No Waves Brewery" mentions that :cross: . Actually, I saw that news story today but didn't get a chance to check it out.

Hey, Virgina Beach, I used to go there every year. Ever been to The Raven?

Indeed! I impress myself at times! I was actually yelling about SWMBO loosing her cell phone for the second time this year when that speed was registered!

We've had about 22 inches of snow in the last day....close to 4 feet up higher, and 4.5 feet at Wolf Creek ski area! YEEE HAAAAWWWWW

I now reside in AZ from Chicago, I was enjoying yesterdays weather, Noahs Ark style rain and my weather station said I hit 75mph gusts, at least it wasnt 20 below zero wind! these weathermen out here are pussies, they were wetting their pants over a little wind and rain!

Wow, the rain sounds like Monsoon style ****. IN DECEMBER?

Holy hell I'd give a months brew to be back in Tucson at the moment.

Now thats beer drinking weather! :mug:

Anywhere but here... I saw 40 below on a thermometer today... for those wondering what that is in Fahrenheit it's 40 below... and that's before accounting for windchill! Going to use it as a walk-in wort chiller for my next brew though! Just have to be careful not to stick my hands to the pot...

Yep. I got 34'F with freezing rain. Just lovely.
I can't tell you how happy I am to have picked this week for my stay-cation time. I'll be staying home, decorating the house for Christmas and brewing a lager or two.
Cold weather = time to brew lagers! :D
BTW, I do recommend Fermentis W34/70, it's awesome for full-body lagers.

Yep, got a few inches last night (that's what she said!) and still getting more. it's been blowing around a bit and the temp is supposed to keep dropping (although I don't know how since it seems all of our weather is currently coming from the southwest.

All told around 16 inches or so before the storm is done. TBH though, it isn't anything like a blizzard. It's actually quite a pleasant snowfall. A bit windy, but not terrible at this time.

It's 50f here right now, but we had a monsoon last night! The wind is howling right now, I expect our shoddy power to go out at any minute.

Back