Tuborg Classic (Vienna Lager) Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maho

Reaction score
I am getting setup for lagering. Made the argument with SWMBO that I then would be able to brew Tuborg Classic for her, which she really likes. So now I am getting tempcontrolled refrigerator / kegerator for my birthday.

Although she really likes this Classic beer, she really dislikes Sam Adams Boston Lager, which is the same style I read (Vienna Lager). Too much hops flavor for her (What?!)

I found some info from the Carlsberg webpage: Carlsberg - Tuborg Classic

Does anybody have a suggesting for this recipe? (All grain pref.)?

Also what are good examples of this style in the US? I could get her to taste which she likes and brew a clonerecipe of those.

Thanks!
Hommel Homebrew

Although she really likes this Classic beer, she really dislikes Sam Adams Boston Lager, which is the same style I read (Vienna Lager). Too much hops flavor for her (What?!)

I have seen this several times and have no idea where it comes from but Sam Adams Lager is not a Vienna.

I found some info from the Carlsberg webpage: Carlsberg - Tuborg Classic

Does anybody have a suggesting for this recipe? (All grain pref.)?

Also what are good examples of this style in the US? I could get her to taste which she likes and brew a clonerecipe of those.

Thanks!
Hommel Homebrew

The info on the Carlsberg is sketchy but it sounds pretty much like a mega brewed half-assed Vienna, basically a Euro pils with some crystal and Munich malt for added flavor and color. Unfortunately Viennas are tough to come by. On the other hand I think that makes them a great style to homebrew. A few local or regional micros may make a decent Vienna but about as close as you will come on a national scale is either Dos Equis Amber or Modelo Negro. These are decent beers when fresh and on tap but again they are essentially mega brewery dumbed down versions of a real Vienna. Seeing how you are an all grain brewer you can do much better. Here is my Vienna recipe. It's really a simple beer. What you need is lots of Vienna malt, good Continental noble hops and the ability to do lagers. This beer was fermented with White Labs Mexican Lager Yeast which I think is the Modelo strain. It does a great job with the style. If you can't find it any of the southern German lager yeasts from either White Labs or Wyeast would be just fine. For a Carlsberg edge go with the Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager. It is a great lager yeast although I've never used it on this style.

This is for 10 Gallons @ 85% yield.

16 lbs Weyermann Vienna Malt
1 lb Weyermann CaraFoam Malt

2 oz Saaz for 60 minutes
1 oz Spalt for 30 minutes
.5 oz Spalt for 5 minutes

Decoction mash: 20 minutes @ 129F, 60 minutes @ 149F, 15 minutes @ 168F
OG 1.050
IBU ~20

Thanks for the replys

I present her with a Negra Modelo and see what she says. I have a clone recipe for that.
Perhaps I can gradually easy her into to something tasty....

Hommel Homebrew

Back