Pecan beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyWit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was on the phone with my dad the other day and he was telling me about this pecan beer they are making near where he lives that everyone is raving about. Has anyone else ever heard of this or attempted to brew with pecans before?

I also googled pecan beer and sure enough their website came right up. The website also gives the specifics on the beer but the numbers are confusing. According to the gravity readings, shouldn't the beer have more ABV? I just started brewing about a month ago so I'm probably missing something.

Lazy Magnolia Home Page

Here are some good links:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lazy-magnolias-southern-pecan-58853/#post598175
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pecan-pale-ale-81224/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pecan-wee-heavy-intrigued-but-unsure-45344/

One of the employees at that brewery is a member here. There are some attempts at a clone in those links. Here is another recipe, not an exact clone, but a beer made with pecans:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/pecan-scottish-80-a-49707/

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the explanation about the gravity and the links to the pecan brews. I am going to try brewing this but there are a couple brews ahead of it in line. So far, I've only done a couple of kits from my local brew store. Next up I've got to try a couple clone brews of some of my favs; Hennepin and Hoegaarden. I just racked my first keg today and it is a failed attempt at a wit. I attempted to change a wheat kit to a belgian. The yeast strain is a german style so the banana dominates everything. It's really good if you like german wheats and definately very drinkable. It just isn't what I was after.

Abita makes a pecan beer as well. Althought it tastes more like a nut brown to me.

Well, pecan is a nut, so that sounds about right.

I'm not even sure what pecan, as a flavor, taste like.

FYI, (512) brewing makes a pecan porter. Only available in Austin,TX on tap.. I haven't tried it.
And I Shiner made a peach/pecan holiday beer. It's was sort of lame.

pecan_bottle_six_pack_rays.jpg

Pecan Harvest Ale is made with real Louisiana pecans that have been toasted to perfection. That makes it something really special, because most beers with a nutty flavor or aroma aren’t made with real nuts. The natural oils from the Louisiana pecans give the ale a light pecan finish and aroma.

This ale is excellent served with both red meat, seafood, gouda cheese, and no surprise here, it’s also great with nuts! Try Pecan Harvest with Gouda cheese ABV 5.0%
IBU 20
Color 19

Nutrition Facts
12 oz serving
Calories 150
Carbs 11g
Protein 2.6g
Total Fat 0g

Abita

I'm about to try a pecan and hazelnut brown this coming weekend. Hopefully they will provide a nice nutty flavor to the beer. I'll keep you posted.

Warren

(512) Pecan Porter is incredible! It has an awesome mouth feel, which I thought was lacking in Real Ale's Coffee Porter this year. Great body and great tast. I'm going to try the pecan toasting process described in the second link by Beerrific. Thanks for the words. Honey Pecan Brown on the hop...

PS- (512) Peacan Porter is at your beckon call at Tap Room if you live in San Marcos.

Sure. I will post it later. It's in the secondary now , but I also bottled two as a trial tasted. 1 with hazelnut extract added and one without.

Warren

Sorry, I have been distracted with work.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
•1.0 lb Crystal Malt 40L
•0.5 lb black malt
•1.0 lb cracked, toasted hazelnuts
•1.0 lb cracked ,toasted pecans
•1.0 lb cracked, toasted hazelnuts
•44 oz Muntons British Amber DME
•44 oz Muntons British Dark DME
•1.5 oz. Fuggles Hops (boiling)
•0.5 oz. Fuggles Hops (finishing)
•Wyeast 1028XL - London Ale Yeast
•1 table spoon - Irish moss
•3/4 cup bottling sugar

Procedure:
Steep milled grain and toasted/roasted hazelnuts/walnuts/pecans for 60 mins, then remove from wert
Bring wort to boil
Add all DME and boiling hops
Boil for 60 mins
with 10 mins remaining, add finishing hops and Irish moss
cool wort and pitch yeast
2 weeks of primary fermentation.
3 weeks of seconday fermentation

Toasting/Roasting
1) preheat oven to 350oF - spread nut mixture onto baking trays as single layers deep. Put in oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and put onto newspaper. Crack nuts (I used a rolling pin) and leave for 3 to 4 hours for oils to drain.
2) Repeat process at 400oF, then 450oF.

Finally, repeat 450oF roasting. Once oil loss is minimal, you are ready to use in the steep.

------------
I bottled two bottles before secondary fermentation. 2 one, i added a tablespoon of hazelnut extract (purchased from bed bath and beyond). To the other, nothing. Both of these tasted incredible after being allowed to carbonate.
I decided to bottle half with extract, and half without. Outstanding result.

Back