How much Honey Malt in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Going to make a few 3-gallon batches of cider soon. Want to make each one a little different.

1) Apple juice (+ sugar to 1.060) with an English ale yeast.

2) Apple juice (+ sugar to 1.060) with Brett-B.

3) Apple juice + Honey Malt (+ honey to 1.060).

Question: How much Honey Malt should I use. This is going to give some honey flavor and leave it very slightly sweet. I was thinking of mashing 0.5 lbs. This should leave me 2 gravity points of unfermentable sugars if I mash high; probably end 1.000/1.002. Is 0.5 lbs enough/too much? Honey malt has enough enzymes to convert itself, but should I add a half pound of 2-row to get a couple more gravity points for sweetness. I am not trying to make a graff or braggot, just want to get the honey flavor.

Can't help you on the malt but I made a ceyser this fall using about a lb of honey / gallon and I ended up at around the 1.085 mark. It is very tasty.

I think it sounds great. I'll bump the thread just to see what others have to say.

I've used honey malt in graff & would say 1/2lb of honey malt steeped @ 158*F for 30-45 min would give you a nice honey profile. You might want to add some FAJC to the must after, just enough to make juice out of the steeping water. I wouldn't think you'd need to mash with 2 row if all you want is the honey flavour. We're talking 3 gallons of total volume & I think the acid in the apple juice would be enough to balance the sweet from the honey malt.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Why wake up a thread that is nearly 3 years old?

I made the cider, it came out OK, but I have decided I don't like the taste of Honey Malt. I think I still have a couple of bottles left of the batch.

The Brett-B added an interesting fruitiness to the cider.

Why wake up a thread that is nearly 3 years old?

I made the cider, it came out OK, but I have decided I don't like the taste of Honey Malt. I think I still have a couple of bottles left of the batch.

The Brett-B added an interesting fruitiness to the cider.

You have bottles of cider that are almost 3 years old? Oh please teach me! I have at least 3-5 gallons going at any one time and they don't last long enough for the wife to stay happy much less age for 3 years.

Latest posts

Back