Need Help with Painting my Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Hi all. So I have built my brew stand (pics to come soon). It's 1.5" mild steel. I need to paint this puppy.

It's coated in some oil from the welder to keep it from rusting. He said to use mineral spirits to remove all the oil. After I do that should I sand this down to nice shiny steel or is there no need?

Now paint. I know I want to get the highest temp I can find. 2000F header paint is probably what I will try and use. Now with primer, I have read that unless the primer is high temp as well, that primer will peal off. So to not use primer unless I can find 2000F primer too.

Now how many coats for the actual paint? Also once done, should I be putting some kind of clear coat or anything on it? I am not sure of the color yet. I am thinking something 2-tone.

Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks all.

Gregg

Gregg,
Take and get it powder coated. Take any other parts that are metal also. 100 bucks for a brutus type frame. They will prep it for you. You will need stainless inserts to shield your frame from the flames. Look at my gallery and diatonics. we both built the inserts and thus enjoy a beautiful, melt free, colored frame.
Snake10

What do you mean by SS inserts? I looked at your gallery pics and didn't see what you mean.

Never mind. I see the inserts now.

Also I have a gas bar so I have 1/2" MPT nipples sticking out of the bar. How do I protect the threads from the powdercoating?

The powdercoat guys will take care of that. I got my frame back and saw that they had put tape in the holes where i had drilled/tapped it for threads. Guess they would do that for you. Just tell them what you want. Easy to just take it to someone and let them make the mess. Plus,when you brew and wort gets on it, it just wipes off and it is tuff to nick. Its been over a year on my stand and no nicks, thus no rust! My next frame will be powdercoated as well. I like color, thats just me.
Snake10

Back