possible bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
ok i made a mistake. i bought an extract kit, but only wanted to do half the first time. i didnt think to cut the yeast in half, so when i first brewed it, i used double the yeast (ie used full amount of yeast and half of everything else)

now, when i bottled it today, i added the full 3/4th cup of corn sugar (forgot to cut that inhalf becuase i did half a brew) so i used double the sugar. so i have double the yeast double the sugar if all the yeast is left over. am i ok? or should i put these somewhere if they blow i wont be cleaning for a week

I don't think the amount of yeast will be a problem, but if you put two times the amount of sugar in to bottle, I would definitely worry about bottle bombs.

well since theres double hte yeast i was hoping that would counter the sugar. would it be safe to put them under my deck? obviously no light gets out there, but i think it gets to like 50 at night right now which i bets too cold.

When carbing temp just prolongs or increases the time frame. The problem is the sugar. You put enough sugar in to do twice as much as needed. There in lies your problem.

ok i have them all in a cardboard box and over that i put a rubbermaid big plastic container. like the huge ones to store stuff in. is that enough?

I generally put my bottles in wine box with the tall cardboard dividers and then place that inside a large rubbermaid bin that I can close and lock the top on. this way if one explodes it shouldn't make the others explode and the mess is all contained in the rubber maid bin. I do this for all my conditioning beer i just prefer to be safe.

ok i have them all in a cardboard box and over that i put a rubbermaid big plastic container. like the huge ones to store stuff in. is that enough?

That's plenty. If they don't explode...you're going to have some super carbonated beer.

Instead of the normal two weeks should I maybe only do two? And I don't want it blowing in my fridge after, once there cold they won't blow because there done xarbonating right?

depending on the yeast, yeah.

refrigerating it will make the yeast go dormant after they've carbonated to your liking.

double the yeast plus double the sugar = super duper carbonation. If they don't explode, they'll be super carbed.

Instead of the normal two weeks should I maybe only do two? And I don't want it blowing in my fridge after, once there cold they won't blow because there done xarbonating right?

It's pretty much up to the yeast at this point. If you try to cold crash them before the yeast are done, then you'll end up with a lot of extra sugar in the beer and it'll taste way too sweet.

You might get a few that go off, but I'm sure you'll end up with plenty of them intact. Let them do their thing, drink them, and make notes of what you learned from this experience to apply to your next brew.

Back