'The' podcast reference thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g0dolphins

Reaction score
I've just recently learned that there are at least a few folks out there who create pod casts for home brew/craft brew. I was wondering if folks recommend any of the pod cast they have stumbled across:

For those of you who are thinking "eh? pod cast. What in the wide wide world of sports is pod cast"? A pod cast is basically where one or more people talk in front of a microphone and convert the conversation to a format that can be linked to, downloaded and played back on the computer.

Here is what I have found so far that seems to be worth listening to/subscribing to:

Basic Brew Radio
Craft Beer Radio
The Brewing Network

I've been listening and watching Basic Brewing radio. I've never listened in live but I save different shows to my i-Pod and enjoy them when I can.

The two I listen to consistently are Basic Brewing Radio and the Jamil Show. Good info in both. BBR can tend to be a little dry/stuffy, but it's full of great information and very good interviews. Jamil Show is great for learning details about a specific style - when I'm formulating a recipe, I'll go back and listen to show on that style for ideas.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/
Some useful information and quite funny. The Cellarman seem to know his stuff too and always has a craftbrew in tow. You'll be thoroughly entertained and may learn something along the way and these two have been broadcasting by either radio or internet for over 6 years.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/
A Texas guy so I'll listen to him just for that reason alone. John brewed "Cause of Death" which was featured in Brew Your Own. 24% alcohol and he tells you how he did it. Very informal, causal pace, and definitely an easy to follow format. He doesn't have all the answers but will provide links or reference to those who do/might. Captain Ron is quite entertaining too. He never says a word either.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/
Very informative and I like his style but not near as entertaining as Graham and Ian of craftbrewer.org.

There are a few more

I have listen them several times, the Jamil Show. I put my wife through a few in the long ride home to Chicago over Xmas. The nerdy "brewcasters start up" sent my wife over the edge each time she heard it go.

She pegged them as 30 year old virgins broadcasting from their parents basement. I kind of wondered how accurate that might be....

Regardless, after the lengthy dicussion about diarrhea was over, the cider info was rather interesting.

My guess is their audience is for mid to late 20's single guys into the early thirties.

In a long boring ride it was OK to listen to off my USB Drive.

I was listening to some of the Basic Brewing Radio and the Jamil Show last night while doing some work in the garage. Both are full of great information.

Does anyone else get the impression that some of the people talking to Jamil don't quite know what they're talking about? It seems to me that they ask good questions to Jamil and know many big brewing words, but seem quite baffeled my some of his answers.

I guess what I'm saying is that on Basic Brewing, James usually seems to kind of know the answer ahead of time on many questions, just to further the discussion with whatever guest he's talking to, while the guys around Jamil sometimes throw out blind questions. The Basic Brewing show seems a little more professional to me.

Who is this AleNut guy I hear about? ;)

Naw really fellas... Just introducing my podcast from TX... I love them all actually. My ipod can't get enough! BrewCrAzY, Brewbubbas, Big Foamy Head... We cross promote like crazy but it is all about homebrewing!

icon2.jpg

I actually started out with The Brewing Network's Sunday show, but it's starting to get on my nerves. Though sometimes I still enjoy the FM morning show format of the show.

Jamil's show is great. I get to learn about the styles, but once in a while, I don't always agree with this views. BTW, for becoming home brewer of the year, Jamil's co-host Jon shouldn't as the dumb questions he is asking.

Basic Brewing Radio is a nice contrast to The BN. It seems to me like the NPR of brewing radio. Dry, but full of information and great interviews.

Kai

Kaiser said:
BTW, for becoming home brewer of the year, Jamil's co-host Jon shouldn't as the dumb questions he is asking.

I *have* to believe that Jon's throwing those softballs up intentionally; crap, he asks questions that *I* know the answers to by heart.

"So, Jamil, should I add the yeast to the wort while it's still boiling? No? Oh, OK."

the_bird said:
I *have* to believe that Jon's throwing those softballs up intentionally; crap, he asks questions that *I* know the answers to by heart.

On a second thought, you are right. ;)

"So, Jamil, should I add the yeast to the wort while it's still boiling? No? Oh, OK."

Adding some yeast to the boil can actually be beneficial since it will provide nutrients for the live yeast later ;).

Sorry, I had to geek it out again.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Jamil's show is great. I get to learn about the styles, but once in a while, I don't always agree with this views. BTW, for becoming home brewer of the year, Jamil's co-host Jon shouldn't as the dumb questions he is asking.

Kai

I was thinking about that too, but I think that Jon asks a lot of those questions to allow Jamil to give the answers for the listeners, you know? To act as a platform, so Jamil can give the info for the less experienced listeners (who obviously can't be sitting there to ask themselves).

What the heck! I'll rub my own back! :)

My latest show is up! Show #6 (in my sig link below) I interview Randy Thiel, the Brewmaster of Ommegang! Randy was very informative in this show!

Give it a listen!

I did bring up the great debate over candi sugar, vs. table sugar in Belgian beers, and what the Belgian breweries use. I was surprised at the answer...

<end...selfplug>

Thanks fellas!

Lonnie Mac

I listen to the brewing network podcasts, just cause I have extra time on the train, and I'm in that mood lately, but I can't stand their forums.

Whoever commented on their target audience was fairly right on, the host just turned 30.

The Jamil show does provide a lot of great info but man, you do have to sit through a lot of useless banter along the way. They make a lot of inside jokes and and Jamil talks a lot about his experiences at different beer events and brewpubs. I mean, if you're looking for that info cool, but I just want conversation about the beer style of the week. Bottom line, buy the $20 book he's got coming out and you get it all without the banter.

The weird thing is, Jamil "sounds" like a 25 year old kid but he's probably pushing close to twice that based on pictures I've seen. He's won more frickin brewing awards than probably anyone else so his advice is probably more sound than most.

Oh, by the way, I have a couple video podcasts in my sig.

Jon's pretty young, though, at least he looks really young in the pics I've seen. I don't mind the banter, it keeps it from getting too stuffy. The show's just abouit the same length as my walk in the morning, so I get all the substance anyway. I've learned an incredible amount from listening to those podcasts, I HIGHLY recommend them.

I enjoy listening to the Jamil show...a lot of good information.

I have been listening to one or the other on my way to/from work for a couple months. Not too much as to distract my driving and usually better than what is on the radio. I will listen to the Sunday show if they are interviewing someone that I want to hear. The interview way back with Dan Gordon was really great.

I used to think that Jon would ask those questions just to move the show along, but after listening to more of them I am not sure.

Oh, BTW, they were reading some feedback this Sunday and someone that heard about them here sent them an e-mail....

Back